Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Safe/Easy way to take US dollars to Spain

Apr 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Most of the time when I travel, I take some US dollars to exchange, some to have, two credit cards (one for ATMs and one for purchases), and some travelers cheques. I have never used the Euro. Unfortunately, I have only traveled to countries where the dollar was worth more. I heard travelers cheques are not accepted everywhere and credit cards are. Any suggestions on HOW to take my money. I will have alot since I will be there for 3 weeks. Probably a stupid question, but it's my first time... be easy.
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I usually bring a minimum of 2 credit cards, an ATM card, and a couple of hundred in USD to exchange only as a backup. I don't bring travelers checks (too difficult to use and poor exchange) or local currency unless I happen to have left over currency from a previous trip. Others prefer to bring a small amount of starter currency. Do whatever makes you comfortable. I use credit cards for larger expenses and get cash from an ATM for smaller daily expenses on an as needed basis. I prefer not to carry too much with me at any given time.
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM
ira

Hi au,

>Most of the time when I travel, I take some US dollars.... to have, two credit cards (one for ATMs and one for purchases), and some travelers cheques.<

Good idea.

Some people like to exchange about $100 at the departure airport to have cash upon arrival, others go directly to the ATM.

You only need TCs (in dollars) as emergency backup.

Charge what you can, use ATMs when you need cash.

>I have never used the Euro.<

You will find that it is easier to use in Europe than the dollar.

Enjoy your visit.

Apr 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM
P_M

If you want to take some US$ in cash or TC's as a back-up only that's OK, but EVERY savvy traveler knows that using the ATM card is without a doubt the best way to get cash in Europe. It's not a stupid question, just one that comes up a lot. You are smart to ask, instead of assuming that TC's are still the best way to exchange. You heard correctly that TC's are not accepted everywhere, in fact they are hardly accepted at all except in banks or exchange booths. The days of using TC's as your primary means of exchange are over, but I still see no harm in having them as a back-up to your ATM card. I also recommend calling your bank to find out your daily withdrawl limit. Credit cards are good for large purchases.
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM
J62

audraf.

You state that you use a credit card for ATM withdrawls. If you are using an actual "credit card", you are taking out a cash advance which has horrendous fees associated with it.

Make sure you have an ATM card linked to your checking account. These often/usually have a visa or MC logo on them, can be used for purchases (just like a visa/mc credit card). But they are not credit cards.

There is a big difference. Be careful.
Apr 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks everyone for the great responses and all the heads up! Much help! Also J62, I have a credit/ATM card that is linked to the bank. Thanks so much everybody!
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:27 PM

do you need a different PIN number when you travel overseas to make ATM withdrawls with your ATM card linked to your bank acct or not? we typically convert to local currency to last a day or two, then head to the bank on an as needed basis, but want to try ATM's this time. We're heading to Budapest soon and from what I've been reading, the ATM is be best way to go.
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Yes, same pin number as at home.

4-digits seems to be the most universal (not 6-digit) and numbers not letters. Tied to your checking account not a savings account.
May 1st, 2005, 10:28 AM

Before W.W.II, it was the £, after W.W.II is was the $, when traveling on the continent. Now the € is a good as the $, so there is no reason to go to a Euro country with dollars. If you need to keep cash for an emergency, take out the maximum from an ATM for a couple of days and put whatever amount you wish to the side for safe keeping. Toward the end of your trip, start downspending that amount, or save it for your next trip.