Minor travelling in France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling as a family to France soon, then leaving one child there with a french family for a month. She will be put on the plane by her host family. What paperwork will she need other than her passport, to get through the airports and customs?
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Nothing but a passport is needed for a 3-month stay.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

doesn't she need some form, with our permission for her to travel alone?
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM

You must contact the airlines you're using. Policies on unaccompanied minors differ from airline to airline, and vary by age group: Aer Lingus, for example, won't accept unaccompanied children under 12 at all, while other airlines require adults to take under 12's to the checkin and complete a form, and won't "release" the child at the other end unless a nominated adult is there to meet them.

On top of that, some countries have rules about under-18s travelling alone. As far as I'm aware, France isn't one of them (no child in our family's ever been stopped from getting on a plane) - but your airline should know.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 05:34 AM

You should have a notarized form signed by both parents, giving permission to the French family to deposit her at the airlines. Also check with the airlines. You should also give the French family permission, in that notarized letter, to take care of her in the event of a medical emergency.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM
ira

Ditto St. Cirq.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Follow St Cirq's advice but definitely verify with the airlines.

How old is her passport? Some countries require that it does not expire within a specific time of arrival in the country -- in some instances six months.

She probably be given the typical customs form to fill out about what she is bringing into the U.S. and how much she spent in France; I think the limit now is $800.

Sounds like a good experience for your child.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Merci to all,

Sounds like a notarized letter from her parents will be good. No one mentioned that there was a specific form. Her passport is recent, and do know that she is fine on the flight.

A biente,
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM

There is no specific form to my knowledge. Just be sure to include all the obvious information: your names, addresses, telephone and email contacts...in case anybody, anywhere, anytime needs to get hold of you.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you StCinq,

We will just copy down everything we send to the schools, copy of her medical insurance, etc.

I also saw that you will be staying at hotel de france invalides, when roaming through the talks. I just have been emailing to various hotels in the Rue Cler neighborhood, and also just emailed to them.

Our two teenagers are most excited about the Eiffel Tower, and we will let them run up all the stairs they want, Eiffel, Notre Dame. We have two days in Paris, then over to the Alps.

Does the museum pass really help cut down on lines? Even though we may not break even on it, it sounds like a good deal, especially as my teen would rather spend less time in more areas than one long day at the louvre.

Old Jul 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM

You say minor - but you don;t say how old. Airlines usually require that kids under 12 fly supervised with a special fee.

If, as I suspect you're talking about a teenager - they she doesn;t HAVE to have anything. You could try to get the airline to provide supervision - but again it would be an extra fee - and depending on the young person would likely be overkill. (My step-daughters, 14 and 17, came to join us in Paris - with just a signed letter from their parents that they were allowed to leave the country. No special services by the airline - but then they're used to traveling and both speak basic French - and h ad no trouble meeting their father at CDG.)