Reload this Page >

Minimum purchase in Euros for France VAT refund

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2002, 10:52 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>the old requirement was 1200 francs spent in one store. Can anyone tell me what the official minimum in euros is?

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Fred

In Feb it was 185 ?, about $166. That was just after the switch to the euro was made. I haven't heard of it changing but don't know that for a fact.

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:05 PM
TVA

According to the website of La Douane at www.finances.gouv.fr<BR>it is 175 Euro, taxes included, same store, same day.

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Z

Do you know if you can get VAT refund in Italy and Switzerland? Does it apply to Hotel, restaurants and rental car or is just shopping?

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:37 PM
elaine

thanks all<BR><BR>Z, it is for purchases you are taking home with you, not for hotels or restaurants<BR><BR>Now, anyone know what the new minimum is in Italy, in euros? or, a website?

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
elaine

Actually I just found this website myself, and it's confusing http://goeurope.about.com/library/weekly/aa000720b.htm<BR>The column for minimum purchases in each country is labeled "US dollars or Euros" and for France it says<BR>180, for Italy 210.<BR>I don't know in that case if the 180 is US dollars, or euros, since others have said 185 euros

Old May 16th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Tomas

Hi all, <BR><BR>The refund is different depending on which country you are in. In Sweden, the purchase has to be over ?20. Don't forget to have your package sealed, or make sure you get stickers to seal it yourself before exiting the European Union.<BR><BR>Also, before checking in tax free packages, make sure they are examined and your refund papers are stamped. If you are carring the package along on the flight, it's inspected in the transit hall at the same time as you refund is handed to you. <BR><BR>Most major airports such as Schiphol have a special refund counter where your refund is given to you cash. <BR><BR>Have fun and shop till you drop!<BR>

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Fred

&lt;&lt;in Feb it was 185 ?&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Hmm. Just found out you can't print the euro sign here. It came out a question mark.

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:14 PM
tania

In Italy the VAT was removed at the store. I couldn't believe it but we had to sign a separate credit card slip saying that they could charge our card if we didn't get the forms stamped at the airport. Minimum, I think was E175.<BR><BR>BTW. Make sure you have the receipt for your goods with you along with the forms. The fool behind me at Schiphol had packed his receipt and consequently, no tiki, no washi.

Old May 16th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Kathy

Elaine - First of all, thank you very much for your wonderful files on Florence and Venice. They came in very handy during my trip. I really appreciate your generosity.<BR><BR>At the stores in Florence and Venice, the minimum purchase was 155 Euros. Some of these stores already took the VAT out, but I, too, had to sign a form promising to get the forms stamped at customs (or I'd be charged a penalty and the VAT). I made my purchases by credit card.

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Jo

When we were in Paris last month, the minimum for refunds was 175? (euros)in the same store on the same day.<BR>

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Jo

Just to clarify, in my prior post, the euro mark came out as a question mark. There was no question. It was a minimum of 175 euros in Paris in one store on one day.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Donyce

My husband & I leave this Sunday for France. I have been to Europe a couple of times but was never aware of the VAT. I was reading about it in the Lonely Planet France book. It sounds like it might be a hassle getting through the paper work to collect. Is this true and is the refund worth it? As you can tell, I don't understand how it works. I would appreciate any input.<BR>Thanks.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:59 PM
xxx

Hey guys, let's do it right.<BR><BR>The plural of Euro is.....Euro.<BR><BR>So it should be Minimum purchase in Euro for France VAT refund And the answer should be 185 Euro.<BR><BR>Do not know why when you punch in the code for the Euro symbol, this site does not recognize it. On other bulletin boards, when you punch in Alt-0128 you get the Euro symbol. As a matter of fact, my screen shows the Euro symbol but it comes out as something else. Don't know what's wrong.

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Carol

Actually getting the paperwork done at the airport has always been a breeze so if I have purchased enough I do it.