Italy using Lira or only Euro?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Italy next week and wondering if they use the Lira at all. It seems like the exchange rate for US dollar versus Euro is so bad and wondering if I would be better getting Liras. Thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:37 PM

It's so late and I'm tired and have a sore head, but really.............it's nearly 2 whole years since the coutries in the Eurozone ditched their old currencies and switched to the Euro. Did you think it was multiple choice?
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:40 PM

I guess I need to apologise for the tone of that. Sorry, really.

They abolished the Lira in Italy on 31st December 2001. You can still exchange old ones (I think) but you can't get new ones

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:57 PM

I'm curious what your request really was. Even if for some reason both lira and euro were being used in Italy, why would you think one would be a better value over the other? It is true you would get a lot more lira than euro for a dollar, but so what? Prices would still be based on a euro/lira scheme, so the actual "value" of the money you got wouldn't be any different.

It seems that's sort of like thinking, instead of getting five one dollar bills for my five dollar bill, I think I'll get quarters instead. That way I'll get 20 of them!
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:08 PM

I exchanged some Lira this past May. You have to go to a special bank though.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind replies. I am inexperienced and thought this would be a helpful source. I guess you are more experienced than I and not very interested in kindly assisting others. Hopefully, I will be kinder to inquiries when I return. Sheila, I do appreciate your apologie.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:39 PM

Huh? What is your problem? I for one certainly didn't mean to be rude, and although Sheila came off a little strong at first, she apologized three minutes later.

I'm sorry if my response trying to explain the difference between lira and euro didn't suit you, but it is fact. What would you have liked me to say, "oh yes, it is too bad because with lira you could get a whole lot more for your money"?

And MarkY politely explained how you could still exchange lira. Is this how you thank people for responding to your questions?
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:03 PM

I passed by this post earlier today and kept my mouth shut. but I wanted to ask if you knew anything at all about travel or Italy. I think the other posters were all very kind in not calling you stupid. not because you asked the question, but because you don't seem to understand the basic idea of foreign currency and exchange rates.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:28 PM

BTW, in case anyone has lira, there is no place in Italy that will take it as legal tender.

I know this has nothing to do with the original post, but some previous travelers might have some lira left over. That's why I had to exchange it at some special bank, after filling out about 3 different forms. What a PITA.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
...calling you stupid. not because you asked the question, but because you don't seem to understand the basic idea of foreign currency and exchange rates."

Well Earl, I believe she might be ignorant about currency, but to call janetele stupid is rather idiotic. Since you have no idea who this person is, to name call IS stupid.

For sake of argument, let's say she is a doctor who doesn't spend hours upon hours on this board talking about important issues like hotel prices and how the weather is in November. Perhaps she has more important things in life, and was just asking a simple question. Then people like you jump all over this person.

Yo earl, I didn't call you stupid because you put a period in the middle of a sentence. None of us are perfect. I think janetele has received a little too much flak, but I'll leave that observation to obvious know-it-alls like yourself.

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:39 PM

I had about L220,000 in my cookie jar left over from previous trips which were readily accepted and converted to euro at my local Travelex office (in USA) recently. Also in that cookie jar were a few hundred Dutch guilder which required a journey to the Bank Of The Netherlands in Amsterdam to acquire euro in there stead.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:40 PM

"their"
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:53 PM

This has to be a troll. I'm not apologizing. This IS a stupid question with an easy answer. Google Lira, for God's sake. The question had nothing to do with exchanging old Lira found in a drawer somewhere. Get a brain and find a life.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:36 PM

I am so surprised at how hostile a few of you were towards janetele's innocent question. She admitted that she is a novice traveller. She was not wrong in posing a simple question to this board of experienced travellers. It is really interesting how people get their backs up over so little these days.

Janetele, it has been my experience that they do not use lire at all in Italy. The Italians are not overly pleased with the way their costs of living have skyrocketed and their wages have remained the same since they adopted the Euro. It is disappointing that the exchange rate USD to Euro is so terrible.

I hope that you will find a lot of wonderful information on this website and that you have a great trip. You should not hesitate to ask any of your travel questions here. We are all here because we have a common interest and we have all learned so much from fellow travellers.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:42 PM

Well, I have to admit that upon reading this post I had to sit on my hands to keep from responding because, as Patrick and others mentioned, the poster is going to Italy NEXT WEEK and doesn't know that lire haven't been used for more than 2 years? Also, the complete miscomprehension about how exchange rates operate was kind of astounding. On the other hand, I wouldn't call the poster stupid, just phenomenally naive, and I do wonder what surprises are in store for her/him once he/she reaches The Continent.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:50 PM

St.Cirq - When I read the original post, I invisoned a person who has perhaps never travelled outside of the US and sitting at her desk in school or her job or in traffic one day decided, I want to get out and see the world. Perhaps her trip was booked in haste. So what she didn't know about the currency. I applaud her sense of adventure.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 08:02 PM

Why do some of you here think all questions or comments such as this post, for example, are considered troll postings?

It could be that janetele is ignorant of the euro being used in Italy.

The first responses are rude and I notice that a couple of you are always quick to criticize others when you believe the posters should have known better than to ask their questions or make comments that to you do not make sense. It's as though you are infallible; I do not think so.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 08:05 PM

I kinda like the idea of multiple-choice currency, myself. But why would anyone ever use the one with the worse exchange rate?

It reminds me of shopping in London with my 83 year old aunt, who had never traveled outside the US before. She simply couldn't grasp that the prices were marked in pounds, not dollars. When I explained that the blouse she was looking at was not 80 dollars, but 80 pounds and therefore about $120, she remarked, "Why, that's terrible! How can they do that?" as if the entire system had been set up to hoodwink tourists! I chuckled about it for years.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 08:09 PM

Marliyn - You are the best! I am all for Multiple Choice currency. How else could MC be useful while travelling.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 08:17 PM

Hi Calamari! Well, we already get multiple choice for airline meals, that is, assuming they are serving you a meal at all (I just flew Jet Blue) and assuming that there is any choice left by the time they get to you.

Let's see...Do you want to sit in 1st class or coach? Do you want the big hotel room with the view or the little one where you can sit on the toilet and brush your teeth at the same time? How about multiple choice weather?! I sure could have used that last spring when it rained on us 17 days in a row in England.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -