Milan Train Station Dangerous?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - My mother and I (she is 69, I am 42) will be traveling in mid-September of this year from Lucerne to Venice via train. I understand that we will need to change trains in Milan (and in Arth Goldau also, I believe). The more I read about the Milan train station, the worse it gets! It has even been suggested that I change my route so as to avoid Milan altogether. What do you all think? I am a pretty independent person and I'd like to think I'd keep my wits about me and not put my purse/wallet/money out on display for all the pickpockets and scam artists to see. Just wondered about everyone's thoughts on this. This stop in Milan would be in the mid morning to lunchtime, not during the night, and on a weekday if that makes a difference. Any other travel suggestions from Lucerne to Venice would be appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:09 PM

I would not worry. Just keep your wits about you. Given your couple of hours of stay, just park yourself in a café in the station until it's time to leave.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just there two weeks ago. They've heightened security and one must show a ticket upon re-entering the platform area. We felt extremely safe but we all knew to keep our belongings close to us. There's some beautiful architecture to be had and people were friendly.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Don't know, it isn't just a matter of putting things out on display but where they are and how accessible they are. Men are always getting pickpocketed because they think things are safe in their pants pockets, for example. Women don't usually do that but may have it in a tote bag dangling down at their side that is easy to get into or in a backpack. Or you may be dragging something behind you, and someone getting into it behind you. So it isn't just an issue of stuff being on display.

I bet you no one will tell you that your fears are reasonable, just a hunch, but I haven't been there so if there are roving gangs attacking people right in the station of a major business city during the day, yes, I'd avoid it. I've just never heard of any train station in Western Europe that was so bad you had to avoid it in mid-day like that.

I've heard it can be bad there at night, mainly the surrounding area, in terms of theft, etc., and peopel bothering those arriving, buying tickets, or walking away--you won't be doing any of those, presumably. And that you do have to be savvy due to people bothering you, trying to "help" you do things, being friendly, etc. If you are just changing trains, shouldn't be as much of a problem as for others who are leaving or buying tickets, etc. I think there are unsavory characters around there, also, and it is more of a hassle than some cities.

notez bien http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...n-milan-italy/
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Christina,
Thanks for your first-hand experience. Your explanation of what the train station is like without ever once being there yourself is rather audacious in itself.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:27 PM

In the nicest possible way, what utter, utter and complete nonsense! :0)

Milan Centrale - a station I have been to many, many times over the last 25 years - is an incredible place, a truly magnificent landmark with wonderful architecture. It's one of my favourite stations in Europe.

I've hung around there, wandered around, used the cafes, I've bought tickets, I've used nearby restaurants - all perfectly safe. I've hung around and caught sleeper trains at 11pm at night there (which I did again only a few months ago) and been there at all times of day.

It's such a major hub, one passes through on all sorts of journeys, it's routine... It's busy much of the time, but that's no big deal.

Make sure you wander into the lower halls and have a proper look around, it's worth seeing. When you have been there, and admired the architecture, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about! ENJOY IT!
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:34 PM

Christina says she's never been there, so her comments are not first-hand experience. I've been there a number of times, the most recent less than a month ago, and I would say it's no more dangerous than any other large railway station in Europe. My husband and I stayed for several nights in a hotel a stone's throw from the station in mid-December, and walked about the area at night. In early January, we had a rather long wait for a train, and ate lunch there before settling down on a bench to await our departure time. No problems whatsoever, but a lot of interesting people watching.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:51 PM

I've been there about a half-dozen times since September. Overall, it's fine, but I find it more tedious than dangerous. Lots of walking. Can be a bit skeevy. Only ticketholders can be in the area nearest the tracks. Keep in mind that it can be a bit of a scrum when the train's track is posted, with everyone rushing to get to the train as quickly as possible and pushing past the people who've just gotten off.

I don't mind the station but it's not one that I enjoy (IMO, Leipzig's station is a lot more pleasant). Perhaps a woman traveling alone at night notices the less appealing aspects more than a man.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 01:51 PM

I wonder what people read to have to come every week with a question about safety.

Last week all of Germany. Now Milan. Tomorrow ?
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 02:04 PM

In any large train station in Europe you have pickpockets - even in Venice Santa Lucia, etc always a possibility but if you take precautions and carry all valuables in a secure money belt or such UNDER you clothes and you know there is a potential problem the problem goes away.

My experience has been a lot like Man in Seat 61's - an amazing station that may be intimidating at first encounter - one of the largest and busiest in Europe with possible track changes due to congestion of trains IME - be sure to look on the placard on the outside of train cars to make sure that train is going to Venice - sometimes there will be two trains on a platform - the first one up near the forecourt but another one that will depart earlier stacked up ahead of it - I've had that experience here several times.

And there is one train from Switzerland I think that goes direct to Venice without a change in Milan - I'll see if I can track it down - for lots of great advice on trains - including safety concerns and stations check Man in Seat 61 who posts above his commercial site - www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.cm and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

The change in Arth-Goldau is a snap - a small interchange station with just a few platforms but Milano Centrale has umpteen more platforms - look at the overhead station in the station hall - then confirm when you get to the track # indicated that it says Venice and again check for double-stacked trains.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was thru Milan just one time coming from Venice heading to Paris, changing from a day train to a night train there. I found it incredibly hectic and somewhat confusing, but not dangerous.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 02:17 PM

+1 to what Man_in_seat_61 wrote, except I'm a woman, who isn't afraid of anything. I find Milano Centrale fascinating, and I can't count how many times I've been there at all hours, on my own with heavy luggage.

If you're the scaredy-cat type, then I suppose no train station is safe enough, no matter where it's located. If you educate yourself on petty street crime (there are many videos on Youtube), then you'll travel smarter and learn to look for signs and present yourself with confidence. Most victims of street crime are caught off guard. They ventured into travel without ever learning how to be "on guard."
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 02:30 PM

Yes and beware of distrations - someone spilling some liquid on you and profusely apologizing while wiping it up - an accomplice may be p[ickpocketing you - or someone coming up with a petition or sheet of paper with something written on it - same ruse or asking you directions - anything to distract your attention - unfortunately beware of anyone coming up to you in a station or on the streets in Milan, Florence and Rome especially.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 02:34 PM

I am in and out of Milan train station more than a dozen times per year and there is nothing to fear. (I'm a woman.) Where did you read this? I'm curious.

It also happens to be one of the very easiest places to change trains in Italy. My only tip would be that, if your train from Venice is arriving late into the station, get up from your seat and walk to the front of the train before it pulls into the station. That way, you will shave a few steps off on your way to catching your next train.

I don't think people should beat you up verbally for being concerned about your safety and that of your travel companions. To the extent that I ever think about the safety of the Milan train station, it is the same worry that I have regarding all huge public spaces in an age of terrorism, throughout the world. And I am guessing you and your mother have already thought that one through.

I am sorry that you read such poor information, but it's good you posted about it here and go so many reassurances from people who actually use the station frequently. You needen't worry.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 03:18 PM

I agree with those who say that you do not have to be fearful about traveling through Milan's station.

That said, a discrete money belt is not a bad idea if you feel that you may be distracted in any way, whether by tiredness, disorientation or lurking opportunists. I wear one sometimes while traveling by train just for the extra peace of mind. (Pre-emptive disclaimer--I know it is not foolproof and if it is noticeable, it is a tourist giveaway.)
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

All of your replies helped tremendously - many thanks for the kind words and reassurance, as they are very much appreciated. Man_in_seat_61, I will check out your info for sure. I actually first read this on a Trip Advisor forum where I posted a question about the train service from Lucerne to Venice. My question was answered by a Level 6 contributor, meaning someone who has over 25,000 posts. I thought I would change forums and post the question to another audience, and I'm certainly glad I got some other perspectives. Thanks again and I look forward to the Italian Experience!
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 04:34 PM

Some people have hobbyhorses and just because they post a lot doesn't mean that they know everything. Their perceptions of pickpocketing risks may be different than yours - or they may have been a victim.

A friend of mine who has traveled VERY extensively (around the world several times, to more than 100 countries and quite a bit roughing it) decided for some reason to take a seat rather than a sleeping compartment on a train in central europe. She sat on her valuables and put her expensive camera between her body and the side of the train - and fell asleep. (She is a heavy sleeper but doesn't think so.)

In the morning her camera was gone. Presumably taken by someone who got off at an intermediate stop. She blamed it on the country rather than her own carelessness.

Can't speak to Milan train station but I have herd the same about Rome Termini - and have been through there several times with no problem = except ignoring the people who want to "help" you.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 05:57 PM

Been to the Milan station a few times with no problems. One thing I did notice are the aggressive rogue baggage "handlers." Is that why you now need a ticket to go into the boarding area?
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 08:16 PM

I have used Milan Centrale many times. I would not go as far as to say it is "perfectly safe" or "no problems", but nowhere is that nirvana. In the scale of many stations I have used in Europe, it is an average station. If you really care to protect yourselves from pickpockets, understand how they really work. Look at many videos of pickpockets in action in www.youtube.com. What do you really see? Are they putting money on display as you described? Pickpockets don't need to be shown where the valuables are. They know the usual places. What it means is that you need to put valuables in unexpected places. That is why many posters mention money-belt.

I presume this is your tripadvisor post? http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...itzerland.html ? I see that Man_in_seat_61 took time to respond to you in both forums. I have read the "level 6" contributor you mentioned. I wonder how she would describe Napoli Centrale if Milan Centrale is "rife with pickpockets and baggage thieves."

While I would not use the words "rife with pickpockets and baggage thieves," rail stations are not the only places pickpockets operate. Any places where there are a lot of tourists with valuables, such as Venice, have their share of pickpockets. Even if you avoided one point of risk area, if you have not understood that pickpockets know where you usually keep valuables, you can be a victim elsewhere including Venice.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Milan Centrale, lovely building, very safe compared say to Naples. You'll have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -