Mijas as base?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:23 AM
spain

Mijas as base?

Would Mijas be a good choice for a base to explore Andalucia? What day trips can you make from here? Can you do a day trip to Granada? Any hotel/apt. suggestions here? I know it's not on water but are the beaches pretty accessible? Any info on Mijas pleaze?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:29 AM
cathryn

I am curious as to what the difference is between Mijas and Mijas-Costa? I assume one is on the water but what are other differences? Thanks.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:26 AM
MJ

Hi. Have spent several winter months in the Torremolinos, Fuengirola area, making many day trips to Mijas. Neither you mentioned are on the water, meaning Mijas and Mijas Costa. They are up on the mountain, make great day trips in their own right. Fuengirola is the city directly below Mijas and that is perhaps a good base, although we generally stayed in Torremolinos (the former has more British expatriats) but both accessable by train and bus. Many day trips are available from both by bus, Granada, Sevillia, Malaga, even Moroco (long, long day), Rhonda, etc. Have fun.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:04 AM
canuck

I have read on these boards that Mijas is very "touristy" and crowded. Could anyone address that here? We passed over it as a base mostly because of this.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:07 AM
captain

We have been thinking of staying at The La Ermita - a Barratt property in Mijas - does anyone know anything about it?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:08 AM
tuscany

For some reason I always think of Mijas as the "San Gimignano" of Spain!! Don't know why!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Paula

The town of Mijas itself is touristy, but I have some friends that stayed at a resort outside of town and liked it. It can be a good base for the area. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 12:14 PM
spain

Thank you..Paula - do you know where your friends stayed? And using it as a base - where would you go for day trips? When you say it is touristy - could you stay there for a week? Is it similar to Marbella? worse? better?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Paula

I checked with my friend and she doesn't remember the name of the place they stayed in Mijas other then it was a golf club too. Hope that helps. Yes, I think day trips to Alhambra, Nerja, Ronda, as well as the old city of Marbella are very doable from Mijas. I would stay anyplace in Spain I've been to so far. It's wonderful. I plan to learn Spanish for my next time there. You'll have a great time!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:51 AM
tuscany

Just curious..I've been to Italy and stayed in San Gimignano. It is incredibly touristy but mostly during the day. When the tour buses leave it is magical. Can anyone tell me if Mijas is like that? We're thinking of spending some time in Andalusia next year and are looking for a nice place to center ourselves for day trips. Is Mijas just "touristy" during the day? Lots of tour buses? And like San G., does it become a magical Spanish gem at night? And how is it for driving in and out of it? Tons of traffic? Thank you.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:06 AM
david

Vsited Mijas 2 years ago. The worst driving nigtmare I ever had. the car in front of me went partially over a cliff in the parking lot with people inside and had to be hoisted back. Narrow roads, crowds everwhere and limited parking. Do not ever go to Mijas in your own car. Take the bus. Because of its location I would locate on the coast which would save time for dy trips rather than in the mountains.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Mcguyver

Mijias Costa is the region it is about 20 miles away from Malaga . It is an excelent area to use as a base to explore north and south of Malaga you are 20 miles from Marabella, easy day trips to Ronda, granada for a day and nigth you can do Jeres and sevile only 150 miles good highways to travel .Mijas it self is a small mt town all the resorts are along the coast highway along the water on both sides of the highway and there are hunderds of them it resembles Cancun Mexico with all the hotels and time share condos .but it is a great base . try the Hotel La Costa Mijas

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:39 AM
zee

Mcguyver, DO you suggest driving to Sevilla and how long is the trip and what roads did you take?? We are staying in Marbella. Are the roads to Ronda difficult to drive? thanks

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:04 AM
spain

Yikes..sounds awful david! We probably won't go till Sept.-do the crowds, congestion lighten up then? We'll probably be there 2nd or 3rd week of Sept.