COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mid May-June Travel Suggestions in Ireland

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Sue

My husband & I, each 60 yr old Americans going to Ireland for 18 days;mid May-June. We are looking for suggestions for self-catering cottages & B & B's. Not going up north. Plan to spend most of time in South & West. Would appreciate suggestions!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:57 AM
xxx

I think you will enjoy it more if you go on June 1 or after.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 12:54 PM
karan

Sue -
We stayed @ Lakeland Cottages in Killarney in November, www.killarneycottages.com, it was acutally our 2nd time. Our first was w/my 70 year old mother-in-law for her 70th birthday. I beleive that all of the cottages have a masterbed room on the first floor. give Brian a shout and see if he has anything available.
Post a note and I'll be glad to help you.
-Karan

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:07 PM
bill

Sue:

I don't agree with xxx, the further into late May and June you get, the more crowded. I travel in May most years and earlier in the month is always better. Most posters here agree that May and September are the best months.

It's hard to recommend places to stay if we don't know what areas you want to spend longer periods (self catering) and shorter periods (B&Bs) in. Give us an idea of your itinerary and I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions. Be aware that many self catering locations won't let you rent for less than 7 days (Sat - Sat), particularly in shoulder and high seasons. Also, many of them are already booked. I checked a website last month for a self catering and they were booked April through September. Yikes.

Bill

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Don

Check out http://www.irishvacationrental.com or http://www.harveysdock.com for self catering in the South West.

We stayed at Harvey's Dock in Youghal and really enjoyed it there . The holiday Suites are located out on te water and the first thing you hear when yu wake in the morning is the water.