Notices

Sligo area suggestions

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sligo area suggestions

Hi everyone,

I posted this message a couple of days ago but apparently forgot to put it in the Ireland forum, so I've been looking all over for it and finally found it in the general "Europe" section. Here it is again - hope you have some great ideas for us!

We're getting closer to firming up plans for our late August 2-week trip to the Northwest, West, and South of Ireland. We intend to spend 3 nights in Sligo, visiting Tubbercurry, Grange, Moneygold, Mullaghmore, Killybegs, and Donegal, with a shoot down into Leitrem for Drumshanbo. This portion of our trip is family-related, as my husband's aunts, uncles, and cousins live in Grange and Sligo, his dad was from Tubbercurry, and some of my family were from Drumshanbo.

We've had wonderful suggestions from all of the fabulous people who take the time to post here and to reply to every silly question I can think of, in regard to the other areas we're visiting (Burren/Ballyvaughan, Westport/Connemara, Galway, Aran Islands, Dingle, Kenmare, Ring of Beara, Bantry, Skiberreen, Kinsale, Cashel, Ennis). We have the least information on the Sligo/Donegal region, though. We know that family stuff will probably (happily) use much of our time, but can anyone who's familiar with this region give us the scoop on a favorite B & B (we're open to towns other than Sligo Town, if someone has a strong opinion about someplace elsewhere), places to visit, etc.? Can't wait to hear!

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI Caseyhen,
A few years ago I spent sometime in Tubbercurry with Maeve Walsh at Crackawn House and loved it. I used Tubbercurry as a central location for Sligo and Leitrim.
The B&B was standard with all the accoutrements but Maeve sparkled..a wonderful hostess who made my stay very special.
http://www.sligotourism.com/cruckawn/
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Sligo area that un-travelled that none of the brilliant people who frequent this list have any recommendations? Wow! Maybe this means we'll have the place to ourselves, just us and the locals. I know it's not Kerry, or Dingle, or Kinsale, or even Galway...but I know that some of you have been there .

Anyway - just topping here. Hope you all had a wonderful Easter.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't notice till after I'd posted...thank you to Cavan97! Our name is Walsh and my husband's father was from Tubbercurry, so who knows...We'll have to look into it! (though I've heard it said that Walsh is the Smith or Brown of Ireland, as surnames go...)
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you! We're going to Ireland in the middle of June, and everything is booked except 2 nights in Sligo area. I posted a few messages, no feedback yet from the savvy travelers around here. I'm leaning towards either Mountain View or Ben Bulben Farm (both in Drumcliff I believe), but thats based on things I read. I'd like to get confirmation on here! Maybe someone will see and reply. Good luck with your planning.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Caseyhen!

Unfortunately I don't have any B&B recommendations for Sligo since I just did a "drive-thru" last May.

But I wanted to chime in to let you know my grandfather was from Tubbercurry! I have some distant relatives still there but have never met them and just spent the last 2 years going through the Irish Citizenship process. Finally got my Irish passport earlier this month. So, I'm envisioning another trip there soon!

Enjoy your trip! I wish I were going back this year, but I'm heading off to Central Europe in September!

Cheers!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi caseyhen...Have you tried Carbury House BandB in Sligo? We have stayed there several times, but it has been a couple years ago. http://www.carburyhouse.net/
As far as the Sligo area, we usually visit Parke's Castle, Tobernault Holy Well ( a must, if you are Catholic or interested in religeous history of the area), Carrowmore Megalithic Tombs, Creevykeel Court tomb..The list goes on and on. We love Sligo and the surrounding area, have been around 5 times in the last ten years.
Have a wonderful trip! We are planning our next one for May of 2007. Hope this is of some help...Helen
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi caseyhen:

Here are some ideas for the Sligo area:

Head towards Glencar Lough and visit the almost tropical looking Glencar waterfall.

Parke's Castle in Leitrim: http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/His...CastleLeitrim/

Sligo is of course Yeats Country and you can visit his grave in Drumcliffe in the shadow of Benbulben.

There are two serious megalithic sites in the area: Carrowmore and Carrowkeel. Carrowmore is just outide of Sligo Town and Carrowkeel is south on the road to Boyle. Carrowkeel is a massive area and there are a number of passage tombs that you can climb inside of, though they are not for the clostrophobic. It's a bit hard to find, but they are outside the village of Castlebaldwin. Well worth the trip. You may be the only people there.

Boyle is a cute town with a nice ruined abbey that is worth a visit. The Lough Key forest park is a very pretty area. You can take boat trips out on Lough Key.

Based on having three days in Sligo and wanting to visit Donegal too, you have plenty to do to fill your days. I know little about Sligo Town itself for I've only passed through.

I hope this helps. It should get you started anyway.

Bill
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a recommendation for Iorras B&B in Sligo at this website with a click through link: http://www.irelandyes.com/lodgings.html As I understand it the places on this page are personally recommended by the website owner. There are photos of Sligo on another page of the website so I think she must have been there before. You can always ask on her forum.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
caseyhen: Hello! Have visited Co. Donegal on several occasions. My all time favorite Ireland B & B is Inishduff House!
www.inishduffhouse.com It's a big & beautiful house! The owner, Ethna Diver is one amazing cook & baker! Breakfast kept me from being hungry, practically into the eveing! Oh! Her location? Just about 5KM West of Killybegs. You will NOT be disappointed! Her website is most informative. While you're there, a pint at the Pub owned by members of Altan, in the Village of Teelin is a must. I was lucky to be there for several (nearly) all night music sessions. Have a wonderful trip!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
caseyhen, There is only one Europe forum. Ireland, nor any other country has its own forum.

I clicked on your name, and found that you have seven respones to your first post.