micro fiber polyester fabric

May 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

micro fiber polyester fabric

The ads for micro fiber polyester fabric coats and jackets for men are very inviting. Is this fabric really the most wrinkle resistant material available for these garmets?
May 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM

I have several microfiber shirts which I travel with. I fold them up, put them in a zip-lock bag, then roll the bag up to get all the air out. The shirts come out fine. Not compleatly wrinkle free, but close.
May 3rd, 2007, 10:16 PM

I don't think so.

I select "year-round" wool or wool blend (with silk, etc.) jackets for my husband. The wrinkles, very few, "hang out" nicely, and are hardly noticeable right out of the suitcase. He travels with a solid and a subtle pattern, in colors which go well with black, gray, tan/taupe slacks. He wears one on the plane, packs the other.

Microfiber is okay, but actually more uncomfortable (he tells me) in hotter weather, especially with acetate lining.

Microfiber (it's polyester, after all) tends to be shiny, and the colors are not nearly as deep/rich as wool/silk.

Microfiber is a terrific fabric for raincoats and, sometimes, slacks, though.

May 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Polyester is very uncomfortable in hot/humid weather as it does not breathe as much as natural fabrics.

It also has a nasty habit of gathering statics and picking up tiny particles if you wear them during your flight.

The first thing I do when I check into a hotel is to run a HOT shower, and hang the jacket/suit in the steam-filled bathroom. This works great.
May 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Polyester is just very nasty, period. Unbreathably hot, retains odors and cheap looking, including those pants. They have upgraded it from the 70s leisure suit fabrics a bit and done a maketing spin on it, but it is still POLY.

The wool/silk is a good blend; I've been wearing wool/lycra flannel that's lightweight, rinses out and dries overnight and looks sharp. Of course in the hot summer, linen is good. Or how about a cotton seersucker jacket for the stylin' guys?
May 4th, 2007, 09:38 AM

I agree with that, mostly. I do have a microfiber parka jacket, which is good as it repels water fairly well and looks a little nicer than regular polyester. But it's still polyester and that's just a casual outer jacket.

For a man's jacket that is outerwear, I think it would be fine, but for other purposes, it doesn't look as good as real fabrics. It's still polyester, no matter what. I agree wool is more wrinkle-resistant, and that microfiber probably wrinkles more than regular polyester. For a man's jacket, I don't know what the alternatives are that you are considering, but I doubt if it's any better than most other blends of poly with something (and it's often more expensive).

I won't wear microfiber except for some underwear and that casual parka I have. I do have a microfiber "suede" ish skirt and pants that are just kind of brushed microfiber, and I wear them to work or something like that if the weather is coolish. They do wrinkle if they are folded for a while.

Search this Thread