Metropole in Interlaken?

Jan 25th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Metropole in Interlaken?

Does anyone have any experience with this hotel? Planning 5 days in Berner Oberland in late May, and hope to base in Interlaken. Will we need air-conditioning then? We often come home from hiking with a wish to cool down!
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Are you sure you want Interlaken as a base. I suggest Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen.
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Is Interlaken to be avoided? It looks like a convenient base, so what's the problem with it?
Jan 25th, 2009, 03:58 PM

It is not very convenient to the mountain activities. If you really plan to hike or venture into the popular montain locations then you want closer to the action---Grindelwald, Wengen, or Lauterbrunen. You will not need AC in May.
Jan 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM

I chose it as a base because it looks like it's well-connected by train to all kinds of places. We are not looking at hiking but rather bouncing around on trains. Is the town of Interlaken itself OK?
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:06 PM

It takes a while to get into the mountain area. Lauterbrunnen in the valley or Wengen in the mountains would be a LOT more central plus the views are phenomenal from there.
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen by train takes 20 minutes, according to SBB.
I've also chosen Interlaken for a short visit because we want to know there is some 'night life' in the evenings, and we're only going up to Schilthorn one day. The other day, we're taking the boat to Brienz, and go to Ballenberg.

Maybe a stay of 5 days is different, unless Stephh wants to go to other 'flatland' towns from Interlaken..
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM

gertie - quite a number of years ago, on one of my first trips to Switzerland, we stayed in a cute little apartment in Interlaken.

Each day we'd walk to the station, board the train for the mountains. Back and forth, back and forth, each day. To get to Grindelwald and then onto Kleine Scheidegg or Mannlichen, it's a good hour, and that's each way each day.

While we did and still do enjoy train travel, spending so much time on the train just getting to the mountains each and every day took quite a bit of time from our alpine experience.

Nowadays, we stay up IN the mountains as that is really what brings us to Switzerland, the grandeur of the Alps literally in your face. You wake up to the views and go to bed with the views. Nothing like it!

But if your heart is set on Interlaken, know that it is a safe town, there are lots of restaurants (yes, even a Hooters )and oh-so-many gift shops.

Happy travels!
Jan 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. It has made me reconsider. But I'm sure I can pass on Hooters.
Jan 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Interlaken is lovely. My 11 year old daughter and I spent a couple of days there two summers ago, and loved it. Yes, the trains take a while to get way up into the mountains, but we enjoyed just wandering around Interlaken and loved the views.
Jan 26th, 2009, 01:28 AM

To answer your question about the Metropole, I have stayed there.It's pleasant graded as a 4* has two restaurants, a superb view from the Top o'The Met which is just that. Other than that it is a bit characterless, no wood panelled rooms. If your'e more interested in Ballenberg, and the lakes then yes it is a good base. The food is good as well. I must be the odd one out on this list because i like Interlaken, I don't like Lauterbrunnen to stay in,it's to claustrophobic for me, and both Wengen, lovely as it is, and Grindelwald mean train journies down to Interlaken if your not a hiker and want to travel, which take time out your day at both ends but that's a personal opinion and it's horses for courses.
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback! I think Interlaken will be a good base for us as we are coming from the Montreux area and will be going to Zurich for a few days after. Looking forward to soaking up some of the vistas!
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Some people simply love to stay in the mountain towns up in the valleys, like Lauterbrunnen, and it does indeed save them some time on the days when they head up to certain elevated targets. How much? Twenty minutes from Interlaken by train to Lauterbrunnen, that's all!

Others don't like to be enclosed by the mountains so much, with shorter sunlight hours and fewer choices in all.

Overall it is just fine to be staying in Interlaken, you have many more choices in terms of restaurants, hotels, shops, places to go from there, and you have great views, too.

From Interlaken with its location on the flat between two lakes you have ships on both lakes and two train stations and Postautos (passenger coaches run by the postal authorities) to choose from, and getting around is easy.
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM

I love it when people say 'oh, no, you don't need A/C"! Well, yes you do if you happen there in the middle of a heat wave - say middle 80s, and there is NO a/c anywhere. That was Interlaken for us in May (and actually Oslo as well last May). Hotel rooms simply weren't built for global warming. I nearly had heat stroke at Battenburg, although it is lovely and we really enjoyed it. I no longer stay anywhere in Europe without A/C, just too old for that level of discomfort.
Jan 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM

AC is very personal and it is just about impossible to make suggestions.

As we just read, mid-80s can feel like a heatwave to some. Don't know where that poster lives, but if it is possible to feel hot in the mid-80s, and it you are someone like that, then by all means look for AC.

So you need to know yourself and not rely on others - if you had asked me I would have said "No, it doesn't get to be a century on the old scale in Interlaken in May so you won't need it", because anything below 100 Fahrenheit is just warm, not hot, to me. See - personal, that's what it all is.

If you suspect you might need it, get it. You can always turn it off.
Jan 27th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Wow--if it might be in the 80's, I'd like some a/c...any suggestions for a nice hotel in Interlaken? OK to spend about $300/nt.