Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are we crazy to go to french riveria during Grand Prix & Film Festival?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We land in Milan May 16, & after 3 days in Cinque Terre,were planning on May 20 to go by train for 5 day visit to Cote d' Azur, basing ourselves in Nice. We have to leave to get back to Milan by train on May 25(all travel would be train/bus; no car). This 5 day window of opportunity is smack dab in the middle of the 09 dates for Monaco Grand Prix (May 21-May 24)& Cannes Film Festival (May 13-May 24). We do not have anything locked in except Milan at this point, so we could change itinerary with no problem (what else to do, would be the question, but...) My question is, would you advise staying away from this whole area? we usually stay in inexpensive 2star hotels anyway, do you think we will have problems finding accomodation? even if we do find it, will we be totally miserable with the crowds? or maybe would it be a really exciting time to be there? don't know how to assess this overlap of dates I had not anticipated. Any input will be helpful.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:51 AM

I know people who go to the film festival precisely for the reason it is crowded and they can party. Other people of course stay away.

I think you answered your own question by thinking it through, you do not want to be there at the time of the crowds.

Maybe go to the Italian Riviera instead.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM

We stayed three nights in Nice during the Cannes Film Festival a couple of years ago. We noticed no crowds whatsoever in Nice. We were not interested in seeing Cannes, anyway, so we didn't mind staying away from it.

A good little boutique hotel in Nice is the Hotel le Grimaldi, which is actually two buildings back-to-back. No view, but charming and elegant with a lovely breakfast room (slight extra charge of 10Euro apiece, I think), and a helpful front desk.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Eze

Forget Monaco during Grand Prix period.
I am sure you won't find any lodging during Grand Prix period from Ventimiglia to Nice, specially with two stars hotels. Most of the Principality, is a "limited access area" if you have not bought your expensive access ticket to the circuit. (i know, being a member of Automobile Club de Monaco).
I must add that during this long week end, crowds of french are travelling or visiting friends.
Staying in Nice (excepted at the airport) you will not even notice that there is a film festival going on in Cannes.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:40 AM

As others have said, you will not notice the film festival except when you're in Cannes. It's fairly quiet at other places that time of year.
And even in Cannes, it's quite fun to sit in a café and watch the people. And in the mornings it's very quiet in Cannes, even during the festival.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:55 AM

If you want to stay in Nice and not venture too far east or west, you should be okay. Just hurry and get hotel reservations.

A nice alternative to the coast is the small Train des Pignes, which goes north from Nice back into the mountainous hinterlands: www.provencebeyond.com/travel/railpignes.html