Medications thru customs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Switzerland. Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble getting your regular meds thru customs. Do you need their original containers, perscription with name, etc.?
Thanks
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I carry them on in the original containers. On my trip last week, I put them in a baggie so I could get them out easier and have them all together. On the way home, I consolidated where I could to save space. I only bring enough pills for the trip.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Customs isn't concerned about small quantities for personal use, but it makes sense to have some proof that the meds you carry are prescribed for you. Those that are controlled substances (narcotics) are best carried in original prescription bottles, but I combine all others in one container and carry the pharmacy's printout listing all my prescriptions.
I do not know anyone whose meds have been questioned at customs in the US, and there's no customs inpection in most Eurpoean airports if you walk through the "nothing to declare" door.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:23 AM
J62

I travel to Europe a couple times a year and not once in the last 10 years has there even been any visible kind of customs to even care what I'm bringing in.

At your arrival airport there will be an exit from baggage claim. Most people may not even notice it, but at the exit there will be signs for 2 lines. Green, for nothing to declare, and Red, for items to declare, often they are just counters on the left and right side of the big exit doors.

99.9999% of the people simply walk out the door. There will be police/immigration/customs agents watching the crowd exit, but they don't ask for anything, and I never see them stop anybody to ask questions.

as kayd says, you will just walk out the baggage claim door under the sign 'nothing to declare', if you even notice the sign as you pass.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info. That's what I needed to hear.

Auf wiedersehen!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM

I think the concern would be with security going out(of the U.S?)rather than with incoming customs.For that,you are required to carry your meds in their original containers labelled with your name/prescription.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:43 AM

You don't go through customs when you leave the U.S., only on your return.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:10 AM

My wife and I both take prescription medications as well as an assortment of vitamins. We take small zip-loc bags, about 2x2, and put our medications in them for each day. Taking the original containers takes up a LOT of room. We've NEVER once been questioned about our pills. We always take an extra 2-3 days worth in case we get delayed, cancelled, whatever. We also take a printout of every drug and the prescription number.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Just back from the UK. With all the new restrictions and security when we left, this time I carried on (didn't want to risk losing them) both my meds for the trip plus a few days of spares (in daily dispenser container) and also the original Rx containers with my name and prescribing doctor. Also took a written copy of my Rxs.

When we left, TSA site was saying this is required, though it was never even looked at. On our way back to the US through Heathrow, screening was pretty thorough but again no-one even asked about meds. Rats, lugged all that stuff around for nothing! Better too much information than not enough, I guess -- but it did seem a tad OTT. Women discarding chapsticks and cosmetics right and left at LHR, and they were pretty forceful in stating what you could or could not carry on...
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Underhill-In case you were responding to my post,I said the concern would be outgoing security,not customs.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I was responding to the title of this thread and the first post.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 03:45 PM

>>>99.9999% of the people simply walk out the door. There will be police/immigration/customs agents watching the crowd exit, but they don't ask for anything, and I never see them stop anybody to ask questions.<<<

Upon arrival in Budapest in July, the agent watching the crowd stopped me and asked if I was bringing in any liquor or cigarettes. Kinda strange, but humorous. It's hard to predict much these days!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Good thing we're not goin' ta Budepest...HA!
Thanks again for the info