Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is need when taking prescribed medications through customs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Ginger Foster

I amd traveling from US to London and take several medications. I know that they have to be in ther original labeled containers. Do I also need a written prescription from my doctor for each one (even one for allergies, that I take rarely)? Also Britaintravel.com said I need a cover letter from my doctor? Is that true? If so, what should be in the cover letter? Thanks. This uis my first trip overseas.

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Suzy

You really just need the original containers with the pharmacy's labels on them. The only reason to take anything else is in case you run out. If you are traveling for only a week or two and want to take smaller bottles, your pharmacist would probably be willing to make up extr labels for you, or even provide the smaller containers for your travel supply.

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Bob Brown

In Western Europem, there has been no problem. I never had anything looked at; not even post 9/11.<BR>Coming into the states is your biggest headache!!<BR>I do carry mine in the original bottles, however.<BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:21 AM
JMM

As long as they are in the original bottles, you should have no problems - I never have and I must travel with several medications.

Old May 14th, 2002, 08:35 AM
xxx3

Also, remember that 99 percent of the people who go through customs do not declare anything and do not have their baggage even opened or examined at all. The customs inspectors are worried about much bigger concerns than your bottle of prescription meds.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:36 AM
xxx

In Oct. 2000 my husband took all of his prescriptions in the original bottles which took most of his carry on since he has to use a mail order service and they come in large bottles; the co. would not send smaller bottles. No one ever asked to see them. In April 2002, all he took was the daily dispensers and there was no problem.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:07 AM
lasa

I've travelled overseas probably 10 times over the past two years, had my hand luggage inspected often, and never have received comment one about my medications packed in ziplocs. Of course I am middle-aged chubby woman who doesn't exactly look like a pillhead...

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:27 AM
sue

I, too, carry my pills in ziplocs and have for a gazillion trips with no problem. I do carry a pharmacy (internet) printout of my prescriptions (just in case), which has proven useful when I ran out and had to get more over there. Just handed the list to the French pharmacist and had them in two minutes.

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Carla

Ginger, I too am traveling to England this summer and for a fairly healthy person, I seem to take an inordinate amount of prescription drugs which I order from our insurance pharmacy and which arrive in HUGE three month quantity containers. Add to that another half dozen bottles of vitamins, and I am faced with taking an extra suitcase so large it may have to be checked! I really think that this year I will employ the system I use when traveling "in country" and wrap morning and evening's meds separately in little squares of plastic wrap and put them in two separate medium size zip lock bags labeled morning and evening. Sooo much easier. I may or may not have my MD to write a letter on her letterhead, listing the medicines I take. Probably Not! Have a great trip!!!

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Sue

Carla, I have same situation; I have always taken the original containers but am contemplating not doing so for trip to Paris tomorrow. Does anyone know of any regulations that specify that one must take the original container? It's always seemed like a "good thing" to do, but the number and size of bottles is becoming unwieldy.

Old May 15th, 2002, 11:55 AM
David

I've flown for years with my medications in a day-of-the-week holder without incident. If it's longer than a week I put all the extra pills in a single bottle. I have never had a problem. (And I did check with my pharmacist. The meds I have can co-habitate for a week without incident.) <BR><BR>I've flown domestically three times this year and internationally once so far this year.<BR><BR>I do take a list of the generic equivalent of the drug in case of a mishap, but haven't needed it.