Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

May 1st - sites/ sights open in Toulouse?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've reconfigured our April 2014 trip, and find that the only two weeks we have available are during two holidays: Easter/Easter Monday, and May 1st. Once again. Nuts.

The plan now is to fly out on Easter afternoon, arriving in Toulouse on Easter Monday at 2:00pm. This option (the best one) would have us returning to spend our last night, April 30th, in Toulouse; we'd fly out May 1st (May Day) at 3:55 in the afternoon (there are earlier flights, but they land in LA at 4:15 in the afternoon, so forget that, I'd rather have a tooth canal).

The only other option would be to fly out of LAX on Saturday, arriving on Easter afternoon, with the first full day Easter Monday - which I'd prefer not to do, as we'd totally miss celebrating with our grandchildren and family. But maybe more things are open then?

I am looking at a nice B&B in Toulouse, where we could have a leisurely breakfast, but it would be nice to do some final sight-seeing.

What's May 1st like there? Any experiences? As always, thank you in advance.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Never been in Toulouse on May 1st but have been in Paris and it was more like a Sunday. There were many people selling lilies of the valley. The typical tourist things were open and cafes.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, flpab. My other option would be to push the whole thing ahead two days, which would put us in the Dordogne on May 1st - I just looked and the gardens at Marqueyssaq are open every day. Will ask my husband if that's ok and maybe it's the best idea.

Thanks anyway for any other input, in case we end up in Toulouse.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 04:59 PM
kja

A quick search suggests to me that the magnificent Musee des Augustins is likely to be closed on 1 May, but is otherwise open on Mondays. The impressive Cathedral St. Etienne appears to be open daily. Other places may be open on Mondays as well. No guarantees -- you need to check further.

Toulouse is IMO a gorgeous town, well worth exploring -- walk along the river, stroll through the historic core, visit its garden….
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM

I wouldn't expect anything of any consequence to be open on May 1st (no museums or major stores). May 1st is one of the biggest holidays in France in terms of business being closed and workers being off (naturally). Of course churches would be open, they are always open.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 01:45 PM

We arrived in Toulouse around 3:00 p.m. on May 1st this year. After returning our rental car and checking into the Ibis across from the station, we wandered around the city a bit. Many places were closed, including many restaurants. Not a lot of people about. We ended up at the Maison du Cassoulet (which we enjoyed). I noticed that the restaurant Entrecôte was also open.

The next morning we left by train for Paris, and will have to get back to Toulouse another time for a real visit. If you are interested in the sights there, I think your plan to change your dates is wise.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, as it turns out we pushed the whole trip forward. We'll be leaving our place near Sarlat on May 1st and driving into Toulouse, like you, MaineGG. We'll then stay there a few nights, so whatever we miss on May 1st we can see the following day.
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 05:23 PM
kja

"so whatever we miss on May 1st we can see the following day" -- maybe. I wasn't able to see everything I wanted to see in Toulouse in 1.5 days. There is a LOT to see there! I think you would do well to think through your priorities in advance. It is a delightful place IMO -- enjoy!