Is Paestum open on May 1st?

Jan 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Is Paestum open on May 1st?

May 1st is a national holiday and lots of places are closed but I cannot find out if Paestum is open or closed. The offical website is no help http://www.infopaestum.it so I was hoping that someone out there has an answer. I would hate to drive out there and find out they are closed. Any help? Thanks.
Jan 21st, 2009, 12:02 PM

Paestum is a town, so as any other town, things are open and some closed. What in particular are you concerned about? The ruins are always open, the excellent museum does have hours not sure when it is closed.
Jan 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM

Not only it is open but, as I wrote, in its area in those days there is also the festival of Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP.

Vincenzo
Jan 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM

Vincen...Only if you can see through all the signs for the Mozzerella di Bufala stores.....lol
Jan 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Jan 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM

Paestum (ruins, of course) is one of my very favourite all-time sites, especially late in the day when the sun is hitting it just the right way, flooding it with pure gold. Just gorgeous.

Wow - I did not realize the Mozzarella di Bufala Campana DOP festival is on then! I'm a little jealous...

Jan 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM

Several years ago my husband and I visited Paestum on Easter Monday, which is a national holiday. Everything was open, but it was very crowded. It seemed like every teenager from Naples had decided to travel to Paestum for the day.

I see that you are driving, so taking the train won't be an issue for you. For us, however, we were in the middle of a riot on the train platform.

We had planned to take the last train out of Paestum, north to Pompeii, where our hotel was located. Well, all those teenagers from Naples had the same idea. There were hundreds and hundreds of mostly teenage boys swarming the little train station, and my husband and I, with our luggage, stuck in the middle of the mob.

We started getting concerned when the train was a half hour late, and a little scared when we were accosted by several guys. We were glad to see the police arrive, although they never did get out of their cars.

An hour overdue, the train finally arrived, and everyone tried to get on at once. Kids who got on first were opening the windows and pulling their friends up through them from the platform below. It turned into a riot as the train quickly filled up. There simply wasn't enough space on this train for all the people.

We stood there on the platform, terrified, until a conductor saw us and spoke three words in broken English, "Wait, ten minutes", while gesturing with his 10 fingers. We trusted him, and backed away, as he proceeded to yell instructions in Italian to the rioting mob.

As it turned out, within 10 minutes of the first train leaving the station, packed to the gills, another train came along for us and the rest of the stranded crowd. We later learned that the first train was delayed so the Italian Rail could put a second train and crew in place, to deal with the overflow of people.

So, from my experience I can tell you that Paestum will be open, it might be overrun with kids, and don't plan on taking the train.

Robyn >-