Reload this Page >

Maui OR Santorini?

Search

Maui OR Santorini?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:45 AM
xxx

Maui OR Santorini?

Which would you choose and why - given you had only one vacation to choose from for next summer.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:53 AM
xxx

Have you ever been to a Mediterranean island or Hawaii? If you're primarily interested in beach and ocean activities, I'd pick Maui. The beaches and water there are MUCH nicer than Santorini. If you love Greek food, marvelous views, shopping and history, I'd pick Greece.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Charles

Maui b/c it has a huge variety of activities including great food, beaches, etc.<BR><BR>Santorini is a terrific destination as well, but no beaches of consequence and activities are historical in nature. (Great wines at the Santori winery.)<BR><BR>Both islands are good places from which to launch visits to nearby islands. Both are totally diffent experiences.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:30 AM
xxx

Thanks for the great tips! <BR><BR>Generally at trips have been in two separate categories 1) Europe and culture or 2) places of natural beauty - national parks.<BR><BR>We have not done the Island thing yet and have had a difficult time picking.<BR><BR>I love Europe and have a strong desire to visit Greece - therefore I figured we could combine the two - islands and europe.<BR><BR>On the other hand we have really desired the nice tropical island setting which we have never done.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 06:55 AM
x

I enjoyed the "black sand beach" actually black lava rock beach in Kamari, Santorini. The water and view was beautiful. I am a big beach person and I really liked it.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Mark

Go to Greece. You have access to so much more stuff, in addition to the beautiful island. Different culture, the works. Maui is nice, but can remind you of parts of So. Cal or Florida.<BR>Go to kauai instead, unless you "need" lots of people, many types of restaurants, 4seasons, Fairmont, Pizza hut, etc.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:07 AM
xxx

to be honest I was leaning toward Greece but am now leaning toward Hawaii because of the uncertain climate of the region next summer - possible war and anti-american sentiment. Does this factor into anybodies decision?<BR><BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:56 AM
x

It wouldn't change my mind about going to Greece. I will admit I was thinking of Turkey next year, and I am re-considering that. The countries are very near one another, but for some reason Turkey to me may be TOO close to Iraq. You have to go with what you are comfortable doing.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Maui

I traditionally warm-weather vacation in Mexico (I'm located pacific northwest USA) several times a year. I "had" to go to Maui for a family reunion, my first trip to Hawaii, this past February. What a gorgeous island!! I'd go back in a flash.<BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Marion Woodfield

is cost a factor? Lots of hotel/flight bargains for Hawaii. Maui is fabulous in ever respect and you can spend as much or little as you wish and it's more convenient to get to. I love Greece but would avoid the tourist season like the plague. Maui's beaches are grand. YOu cannot compare the two choices. Toss a coin. You'll probably be happy either way.