Search

Marriott Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriott Hotel

We are arriving around 9:30pm the day before our cruise. We are considering staying at the Marriott. Does anyone have any info? Close or easy to access the city? Good neighborhood? Far from the boat dock?
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I didn't mention Barcelona Marriott.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:10 AM

There is no Marriott in Barcelona. There is a hotel called the Hotel Arts, which is managed by Ritz-Carlton, a Marriott brand. It is on the waterfront. While theoretically walkable from the cruise ship piers, with luggage, etc I would take a taxi, it would not be more than 10 minutes. A very nice hotel.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Cicerone,
Regarding the Hotel Arts, can you tell me what kind of area that hotel is in? Is it close to famous places/center of Barcelona? I will be taking a cruise leaving from Barcelona, but will arrive a couple of days before. Thanks!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:46 PM

The Hotel Arts is on the beach. It is not close to the Ramblas or any historic areas in the city center, but they are a short cab ride away (about 10-15 minutes). If you were in the mood to walk, you could walk to the bottom on the Ramblas from the Hotel Arts, probably would take about 45 minutes. The restaurant Set Portes, a popular one on this site, is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. The Hotel Arts is in a boardwalk area with many restaurants (most typically touristy but one or two good ones) and some shopping. It has nice views of the beach, sea and city from the rooms, esp the higher floor rooms.

If you will be in Barcelona during the warmer/hotter months, you might enjoy being on the beach with the nice pool. If not, you might find it a little more convenient to be in the city center; although I have stayed in the Arts on 4 different occasions for both business and pleasure and never found the short taxi ride into the city center inconvenient or expensive (about $4 if I recall correctly).
The hop-on hop-off bus in Barcelona has a stop near the Hotel Arts, so that is convenient as well. (It is on the south loop, there are two loops to the bus route). For a website giving details about the hop-on hop-off tourist bus run by the city of Barcelona, go to tmb.net (click on to the English version). For a description of bus and walking tours offered by one company, go to europerator.org.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 02:47 AM
JonJon

I suspect some would say that the Arts is one of the most, if not THE most "upscale" hotel in the city but it is not in one of the most popular areas. However, if staying at this sort of place is the most important aspect, and it is worth it in my opinion, then the short and relatively cheap taxi rides to the Gothic Quarter, etc., are easy to do. I doubt that with luggage you aren't going to be walking to or from a cruise ship dock so I wouldn't let that aspect have too much weight.
It is nice to be closer to "The Ramble" and so forth but you can also get a Metro not too too far from the Arts.
Enjoy Barcelona, and if you do use the Metro, safeguard your valuables particularly when you are just boarding the trains which is when the pickpockets strike.