Search

marktynernyc....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:32 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marktynernyc....

Mark, I really liked your Prague travelogue and am finding it invaluable while planning our dining experiences for our upcoming Prague trip. Based on a recent posting, it looks like you also went to Budapest, although on another trip. If so, do you have any restaurant or hotel recommendations? Did you ever post a report or do you have one available elsewhere? Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Gald to be of help.<BR><BR>I never posted a report regarding my trips to Budapest - I do have bits and pieces of notes and I'll post them to this thread for you. I haven't been to Budapest in a year and from what I've read the restaurant scene there is coming into its own right - going way beyond paprikas csirke and gulyasleves. (chicken paprika and goulash soup - I've got to get back there sometime this year)<BR><BR>The food scene in Prague blew me away - I wish I had made the effort to attend a cooking class (which I just did in Oaxaca, Mexico - great way to know the culure / city).<BR><BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM

forgot to mention - I have pictures (including restaurants) in my Prague page at virtualtourist.com - just click on Prague and / or do a search for my name marktynernyc.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:18 PM
wj1
Original Poster

Thanks Mark. I agree that cooking classes can be great. We took one in Vietnam which was wonderful. Did you hear about a class in Prague?<BR><BR>In any event, I look forward to getting any notes you may have about restaurants in Budapest. Where are you getting your information about the restaurant scene in Budapest? Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:39 PM

Take the shuttle from the Ferihegy airport to your hotel. There has been discussion about whether or not to buy a round trip or one way ticket. Numerous posters have commented that after buying a round trip - upon return to the airport the driver refuses the ticket because it's been incorrectly ripped and you have to buy another one way ticket. First time I bought a round trip and had to purchase another one way ticket - second and third time I bought one way tickets - less possible complications.<BR><BR>As for hotels - I've only stayed at the Gellert Hotel. First time I stayed in a tiny single room - a third the size of a East Village studio apartment - $40 a night which included use of the baths and breakfast. I personally think the Gellert is a great location. The next two times i got a regular room with a queen size bed and a view of the Danube - which was wonderful.<BR>http://www.danubiusgroup.com/<BR><BR>As for restaurants:<BR>Gundel<BR>Some people would say it's a tourist trap which is why i stayed away my first two visits to Budapest. Finally went on my third visit - and thought it was great. Beautiful room - well prepared food - the six course meal with wine pairing was $60. I'll be back when I'm in Budapest again. <BR>http://www.gundel.hu/<BR><BR>The Golden Stag (Aranyszarvas)<BR>Specializes in game dishes. Near Erzsebet Hid (Elizabeth Bridge). Pleasant wrap around terrace for outdoor eating. I thought the game dishes here were quite good - ate here numerous time.<BR><BR>Cryano - just off Vaci - contemporary takes on hungarian food - I went for lunch because I had read it's a dinner scene<BR><BR>Legradi Antique was okay - nothing extraordinary<BR><BR>Muzeum Kavehaz - located on the ring near the Hingarian national Museum - had lunch here and thought it very good, will definitely try dinner next time
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:40 PM

Thermal baths:<BR>I would get up in the morning and go for a soak and massage -sightsee all day, then while walking back to the hotel stop at a bath to soak again (just bring some flip-flops with you if you're concerned about athlete's foot ) - don't forget to tip the attendant. <BR><BR>The men's side of the Rudas baths is great - dates back to the ottoman period. Five different water temps - from luke warm to lobster red<BR><BR>The Gellert baths are beautiful - separate wings for men and women but a common outdoor pool area. There are two types of massage: medical and sport. Sport is a bit more vigorous, uses a soap - medical is a bit softer (wimpy as far as I'm concerned), uses oil. I learned to pay the massage therapist directly - which improved the quality of my massage. <BR><BR>Szechenyi bath in Varosliget is a huge uni-sex bathing complex - during the summer on the weekends at night they have bands playing.<BR><BR>Palatinus baths on Margitsziget are also uni-sex. Margitsziget is a beautiful oasis from the city - pick up some salami, wine and cheese<BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:40 PM

Things to see and do:<BR>walk Andrassy Ut - the Opera House, take a tour and/or see an opera - Hero's Square, beautifully lit at night - Museum of Fine Arts + Palace of Art - Varosliget. <BR><BR>Parliament House - tours available and possible concerts<BR><BR>Music Academy - another great secession interior and weekly concerts<BR><BR>Museum of Applied Arts - great collection of secession glass, pottery, books, furniture<BR><BR>Szent Istvan - go to the top of dome for a wonderful of the city<BR><BR>The Castle area - great views , the Royal Palace, the Hungarian National Gallery, Mathaias Church<BR><BR>The Hungarian National Museum<BR><BR>Great Synagogue <BR><BR>Lot of wonderful trails on Gellert Hegy - leading to Citadella and beautiful vistas of the city<BR><BR>The subway should be able to get you to most of the things you want to see - the bus system is extensive but a bit confusing, like any bus system is. The trolleys along the river and the ring are great way to see the city.<BR><BR>Have yet to take a ferry ride but will one day.<BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:41 PM

Books:<BR>Budapest, A Critical Guide by Andras Torok - great walking tours (got mine at Barnes &amp; Noble)<BR>Eyewitness Travel Guide - Budapest <BR>Knopf Guide - Budapest<BR><BR>http://www.budapestsun.com/<BR><BR>http://www.irisz.hu/webcam_hun.html<BR><BR>Check the NYT Travel destination section, the Guardian, etc. for articles on Budapest.<BR>
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 07:58 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Hi Mark. Thanks, I really appreciate your help.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:44 PM
elr

Mark, what do you think about getting the budapest card? good idea? thanks, Ellen
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:57 AM

Ellen ... we were in Budapest last month &amp; picked up the 4 day Budapest Card at the airport, not sure if it was good economical value to see the sights (for most it just gave you a discount off the normal fee vs the London/Bath/Hong Kong cards we've had in the past where most attractions were 'free') ... but it really made it convienent to use the transit system (subways-street cars-trains-buses-cog wheel tram we all very good &amp; easy to get around) ...