Search

restaurants in budapest, prague please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
WG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
restaurants in budapest, prague please

We are heading to Budapest, then river cruise, then few days in Prague. Could you recommend a couple of restaurants in each city - non touristy, local flavor, excellent food, etc. Many thanks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:43 AM

In Budapest, we enjoyed a restaurant called Fatal...but that was in 1996...things may have changed since then.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:50 AM

WG - what river cruise? we are on a GCT cruise departing in mid-Oct, Budapest to Prague. If you are on that same cruise I would love to hear from you after your return.

I have been doing some research on Budapest restaurants - here are a few mentioned elsewhere BUT of course I have not yet tried them. Wall Street at Andrassy ut 19, Rosentein (www.rosenstein.hu), Vendeglo and Abszint. Also in the big market hall in Budapest there are supposed to be alot of casual eating places for the local cuisine.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:54 AM

For Praha:

www.squaremeal.cz

I recommend David and Zahrada v. Opere; La Perle for the view, not the food.

Thin
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:25 AM

Re Budapest...

I went to Fatal last week with some Hungarian friends. There are some tourists there but also lots of hungarians. The food is quite meaty and served mostly on platters or in pans and each person seems to get about 2 kilos! The portions are huge. It's not expensive.

On the more upper end scale, I went also to Bagolyvár, which is near the zoo. The food was very good and there were Hungarians and tourists there.

I also went to Bock, which is a wine bar with nice food. It has a great selection of Hungarian wine by the glass and the food is great. The Hungarians go there to just have a drink. There were lots of tourists there - but it's worth a trip just to try out the wine.

I went to a few other very Non-touristic places with my friends, but I don't even remember the names.....but if you stay off the main drag - you won't find that many tourists in any event.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:02 AM
WG
Original Poster

many thanks - we are leaving tonite... will take amadeus waterways cruise starting on sat. will let you know how it is.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Bellavista in Prague. Great views, and the food was terrific. Salmon and risotto dishes were superb. For a change of pace in Prague, try The Orange Moon. Good Thai restaurant near Old Town and there were mostly locals eating lunch at this restaurant.

We also liked The Noble Club in Mala Strana. Wine cellar that also offered cheese and salami. Nice place to start your evening before dinner or go to for a late night glass of wine.