Restaurants in Prague and Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I are traveling to Prague and Budapest in mid-September (we are all adults). We are looking for restaurants that are "cannot misses" and we would also like to know which ones we must get a reservation at before we go there. I would like to plan out the places that I need to plan out before we get there, so we don't miss any great food. Thanks in advance for responses
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Maybe this website will be of help:

http://www.praguefinedining.cz/
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM

My apologies Angie. i just checked that website and it certainly isn't what it used to be! Perhaps this one will be of help:

http://www.praguepost.com/restaurants/
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM

It isn't really (cannot misses), but in Budapest last year I ate several times at Cafe Kor(one block north of St Stephen's Basilica), good contemporary food, simple and cleanline deco, and reasonablly priced.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM

I stumbled upon this place called Vino Di Vino in Josefov (Prague 1), and HIGHLY recommend the monkfish!! Amazing flavors! A memorable dining experience, and the service was outstanding. I will visit again, no doubt. Here is info I found on www.expats.cz :

Vino di Vino
Vezenska 3, Josefov
www.vinodivino.cz
Tel. 222-312-999

Vino di Vino – This recently opened wine bar and shop in Josefov is actually the first retail outlet of the long-standing Italian wine importer La Fattoria, which supplies many of the city’s best restaurants and hotels. Vino di Vino offers an extensive range of wines from all regions of Italy, along with a selection of Italian fine foods (pastas, sauces, oil, cheese, etc.). You can buy bottles to take home, or they have an extensive selection of wines by the glass, and they offer several wonderful tasting selections featuring 4, 5 or 6 different wines to taste. But the best-kept secret about Vino di Vino is the weekly offering of wine tastings and dinners hosted in their vaulted cellar. At both events, the owner, Giancarlo Bertacchini, and his sommelier, Jiøi Matkuzzi, lead guests through a tasting of several wines from a particular region of Italy. At the tastings, you will also be served selected antipasti and a small main course. For the wine dinners, guest chefs prepare extensive four or five course meals from the featured region - you won’t leave hungry! These are not to be missed, but book early, as they do fill up.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:30 AM

I loved Pasta Fresca in Prague last summer. I ended up eating there twice--once for lunch and once for dinner. They have amazing homemade pasta and the service was great. Here is the link--http://www.ambi.cz/ambi_pastafresca_kontakt.php
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:59 AM

Ambiente opened that Italian restaurant that "Coll" mentions about 10 years ago. They have awesome pesto sauce! There was also another location in Vinohrady, but I see that the owners opened a chain of different places, so I don't know how the food is in the other restaurants. They are definitely catering to Western tourists, though, similar to the Kampa Group (which bought out Bazaar & changed it to Cowboys, and serves some terrible steak - stay away!!).

For good Czech food, but with an English menu, try "U Shnellu" (I may be spelling this wrong, lol!!). It is in Malostranska Namesti on Tomasska (I will double check the street later). It is a great introduction to that cuisine, and has a nice atmosphere. Try it on the way to or back from the castle.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will definitely check them out.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM

My favourite restaurant in Prague is DAVID in Mala Strana. It doesn't look like much on the outside but the food is fabulous--they have foie gras.

Pravda on Pariska Street is very fashionable. If you wear Prada, this is the place for you.

There are cheap neighbourhood-y places on Stepanska, near Wenceslas Sq.

If you want a fabulous view--the food is good but not fabulous--try Le Perle in the Fred/Ginger building.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:12 AM

Gundel's in Budapest!!!Located near City Park;XIV Allarkerti korut2 (36-1)321-3550. We went on the recommendation of a friend and enjoyed it so much we returned 3 nights later for New Year's Eve. The bar area is a wonderful spot to sit with a glass of champagne before dinner. Very good food and great ambience, including strolling violins. Lovely building and setting....since 1894.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM

I cannot remember the name of an Italian gelato/bakery shop in the Jewish Quarter. The gelato was the best I've had including Italy. It is surrounded by nice shops (window shopping with great gelato is a lovely way to spend an hour!).
I would recommend not dining at the Four Seasons restaurant. Extremely expensive and not worth it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM

Darling, do you mean that gelato place on Pariska Street near Giorgio Armani? The gelato is good there, but I certainly don't think it is as good as Vivoli in Florence.

Thingorjus
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Budapest:

Buda

Kasca – lower Buda – 75 Fð Ut - excellent – reservations encouraged – specialty is duck

Apetito - upper Buda - across from the Hilton – food good wait staff less so

Alabárdos – upper Buda - a block from the Hilton - Országház utca 2 – high-end food & a slightly stuffy attitude - reservations necessary

Pest

Paprika Vendeglo – 5 - 6 blocks from Heroes Park - 72 Dózsa Gyðrgy Ut – great family-style Hungarian food

Ian
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Marginal-margiela,
The gelato in Prague was extremely good; however, Vivoli is now on my list for my next trip to Florence! I remember an unbelievable almond dessert at Mama Gina's in Florence during my last visit. Florence is bad for my waistline!!
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 07:05 AM

Hi Angie...
In Budapest check out Fa Tal (no it is not fatal) but means wooden plate. Located on Vaci Utca, the pedestrian street. Go hungry, they give lotttsss of food on the plate.

For a great cake and coffee, check out Mozart located on the Nagykor Ut (large ring road) almost across the street from Madach Szinhaz (theater).

If you want something a little different, check out the Medieval themed restaurant Sir Lancelot. VI district. Podmaniczky u. 14, Tel: 302 4456, ...It is between West End shopping center and the Basillica on a side street.
No utensils are given, it is all eat with your hands. Fun and enjoyable.

Also check out the web site below, it should give you some good ideas.

http://www.pestiside.hu/archives/the...pest000049.php
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 07:27 AM

shangrila:
Fa Tal & Sir Lancelot sound like good places to eat. Are they considered inexpensive, or more to $$$ places?
We dont really drink, usually just share 1 glass of wine. And we usually order straight to the main course
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM

I was there for the entire month of July and posted a trip report listing activities and food. Just do a search on adnil1962 - I posted it the first week of August 2007. Feel free to e-mail me with questions.