Marais, Rue Cler, or latin Quarter to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick Steves in his 2006 France guide book recomends to stay at Rue Cler or Marrais in Paris. He even does not mention Latin Quarter or St Germain as a sleeping area.
I am stragling to make a descison where to stay in Paris during my 3 -day viist in September.
How to choose between these 3 districts?

Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
ira

Hi dima,

Marais (4th Arond) is trendy and hip
Latin Quarter (5th) is students and lively
St Germain des Pres (6th) is a combo of upscale sophisticates, yuppies and trendy

Rue Cler is in the 7th. Except for RS and his followers, it is a quiet, pleasant residential area.

What's your budget?

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:10 AM

Ira has hit it right on the head for these areas. So much has been posted here about these areas. I would suggest you do a search (top of these posts) of the areas and see what you like or don't like and THEN come back here with real meaningful to you questions. It's the most effective way to get info that is of real value.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:46 AM

With the exception of the 4th Arr. I have stayed in all 3 locations. I liked the Rue Cler but it was too quiet for me at night. When I return to Paris, it will in the Latin or St Germain quarter.

Monica
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Monica, if one enjoys sleeping, how can an area be "too quiet" On my trip to Paris, we stayed just north (downhill)of the Pantheon. One block further north of hotel was a small square with many bars frequented by students and/or twentysomethings, who must have known my family was in town, as they would make a point to grace us with a full repetoire of drinking songs outside our window every night around 2:30am. We lost sleep over this but it added to the charm of our visit. (not to mention bringing back some memories long dormant in my own past)
One morning we decided to take in "Breakfast in America," a delightful spot with the requisite botomless cup of coffee. I commented to the lady who runs the place, an ex-pat American, that we were suffering from sleep deprivation over these late night arias, and she just curled her lip at us and said, "That's Paris!" and walked away.
In summary, if you value quietness after a certain time, then you want to follow RS advice, if you enjoy a place with a bit more flavor, consider the 5th. Most people who chose to stay in the 5th, subsequently choose to return and stay there again, as I would, but that is not to say anything negative about the other neighborhoods. I don't think you can make a wrong choice.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the response,
My budget ~ 100 evro per night. Good sleep is critical as well as air conditioner when it is hot at night and.
Ira, I know you liked hotel Bonaparte. I am considering also Hotel Monge, which, I think is in the same area.
I am wondering if they fit my requirements? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Hotel Monge and Hotel Bonaparte are not in the same area at all. Hotel Monge is by the "place" and "metro" of the same name, next to des Arenes and Jardin des Plantes. Bonaparte is near St Sulpice and blvd St Germain des Pres. They are both well-liked inexpensive hotels, and both have a/c. With a/c you can close the windows at night, which should take care of most noise issues. Bonaparte would be the most centrally located, and would have better transportation connections; there are fewer metro lines running through the eastern part of Latin Qtr. (not sure about buses, which are great to use - need a map that shows where the stops are).
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:16 AM

p.s. you need to check availability at both of those hotels **right now** as September is a busy month and they are both popular choices.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:20 AM

dima, whatever area you choose, do it NOW. Paris hotels are packed in September and booked far far in advance. You are looking at the most popular tourist destinations.

I've been through some very noisy and sleepless nights in Paris - mostly on r. St. Louis when the bars/brasserie close, so I can sympathize with you in trying to find a quiet sleeping area.

The areas that you are looking at are all safe, and convenient. In my experience, the quietest blocks can have late night revelers or noisy, inconsiderate fellow hotel guests returning from from their evenings activities. Something I will never understand is guests who check out or leave early for their days acvities, slamming their room doors and then walking down hallways or stairs talking at the top of their lungs.

Good luck & enjoy your trip.

Nina
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM

If you are traveling alone and looking for an immaculate, quiet room, consider the hotel hospitel dieu right next to Notre Dame. www.hotel-hospitel.com. The rooms are exactly as pictured, clean, bright and cheerful.

I've stayed in the 5th (3 times), 6th, and 7th in hotels that I enjoyed, but the hotel-hospitel, was by far the cleanest, quietest, best located of any. If you manage to get a room on the side overlooking N.D. you will have a view of the spires. I got great shots at different times of the night and day. Because it is the top floor, the windows are high and slanted, so I could lie in bed and watch the clouds drift by. When I was there the moon was full and it was a wonderful seeing a full moon over the rooftops and the spires of N.D.

Rates are a bit under 100 euros for a single and there are 14 rooms on the top-floor hotel. I never heard anyone coming or going.

There is a beautiful garden in the courtyard and I loved walking out the door every day and being right in Place Parvis in front of Notre Dame. I enjoyed hearing the bells. They do not ring all night or start too early in the morning.

There are reviews on Travel Advisor so you can read other comments.

As others wrote, you do need to make a decision and reserve; September is very busy in Paris.