Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for long-term (90 days) apt rental in Rome..any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend where to look for long-term apartment rentals (inexpensive, hopefully)?

I don't care what area of the city, as long as I'm close to bus route. I do like the Vatican area, however.

I would like to be near neighborhood shops (grocery/laundry/eateries), if possible.

Based on some things I've read, I think I can expect to pay somewhere between $1000-$1250/month (US dollar) for a studio or one-bedroom not too far from city center.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

ttt anyone?
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:15 PM

Try VRBO.com
Good Luck
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Hi sarge,
We got our flat in London on sabbaticalhomes.com and I see there area flats in Rome there as well. It's a very interesting website. You can actually see the name of the renter and then google them. Many of them are university profs who teach in several countries or who are on sabbatical. Others are in the arts. Our flat owner is a professional photographer who is in South Africa while we're here in her home. We're very happy with our flat and neighbourhood.

I'm so excited for you!
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Sarge, this sounds like a continuation of your "moving to Italy" thread that you started several months ago. Good luck with it.

From http://www.lrb.co.uk/classified

Rome, Italy: sunny book-lined flat in central Testaccio district. Perfect for sabbaticals. €1800pm.
email: [email protected]

Might be a bit costly - $2500 a month, but perhaps worth a shot.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Try this web site..

For that amount of moneys it going to be hard to find something decent around the Vatican..Perhaps somewhere in the Periphery of Rome..

Have you considered the smaller Colline Romane_ around Rome? They are very close to the city..the train goes to the city quite often.
Frascati, is the largest and not too far from Rome.. Is only 29 minutes with the train.

I have just found this website..Take a look..

http://www.romepower.com/?source=Goo...term%20rentals

In Bocca Al Lupo, Sarge..(is our roman way to say Good Luck)..
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Sarge, I wish I could help you but I just want to say good luck with this adventure. I wish I could live in Rome for 3 months. Io sono così gelose, portami con te!
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM

Sarge,take look at the apartment 057 Augustus.

http://www.romepower.com/eng/long-te...tals-in-rome/2
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Peter thank you for that link to the LRB.

You might also try the New York Review of Books classifieds, although they seem to favor Paris, as does this long-term rental agency:

http://www.familiesabroad.com/
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You might try getting the Guide for Foreign Students. I think it has housing information. Write to Italian Ministry of Education, Viale Trastevere 00153 Rome, Italy.

Wanted in Rome usually has listings also.
http://www.wantedinrome.com/
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't have personal experience w/ a long term rental in Rome, but I do have a friend who was planning on an extended stay and I remember she wasn't finding anything under about €1500 a month. And most were much higher.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links and advice, friends. I have been able to find several that look promising.

janisj- They are out there. Perhaps we are looking for different levels of comfort, or location.

All I really need is my privacy, a bed, a bathroom, a kitchen and solid wifi service. Oh, and close to Rome bus route.

Other than those things, I'm good.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you find an apartment? I came across a link/suggestion on the Santa Susanna website. I don't know if you've seen this before.

>>>Looking for a place to live here? Need Assistance with buying and renting homes in Italy???? We recommend HabemusCasa: Italy’s Commission Free Real Estate Web Site

Save thousands on sales & Rentals; No real estate Fees; Buyers and Sellers Deal Directly; Easy to Use! Visit www.HabemusCasa.com or email [email protected]. Tel. (+39)06.580.0891. Con HabemusCasa nasce un nuovo modello di transazione immobiliare. No agenzie e zero commissioni. Vendere la tua casa non é mai stato cosi facile!! A partire da adesso hai la possibilità di inserire l’annuncio della tua proprietà – gratuitamente. Da HabemusCasa é benvenuta ogni tipologia immobiliare – puoi vendere, comprare, affittare anche case vacanza o per brevi soggiorni.<<<

http://www.santasusanna.org/visitorI...ml#information
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

ky- thanks for the input. Actually, I found a couple of really excellent apts that owners were willing to let me have at great price for 90 days. Unfortunately, my company has been dragging their feet at getting me my official "approval" to go. They have verbally said I can, but are waiting for information from an atty who specializes in EU labor laws, about length of time, tax implications, etc.

SO, it looks like I may not get back to Italy until fall of 2011. I simply don't want to go in summer, unless I'm moving their for 2-3 years. And I'm still working on that one!

Thanks for the info, though. I will keep it in my info folder for reference!