Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Making a reservation in Paris. Need translation help, s'il vous plait!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Paris the end of Feb., and would like to make our restaurant reservations ahead of time. I would like to attempt to make them in French. How would I ask &quot;I would like to make a reservation for March 1st, at 9 o'clock.&quot; Je parle francais un peu, but never did learn &quot;would like&quot;.<BR>We are dining at La Maison Blanche, would love to hear peoples experiences, any specific table (area), to get the best views? We are celebrating my birthday there.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:22 AM
rex

Je voudrais faire une reservation a 21:00, le 1 mars, s'il vous plait.<BR><BR>This is if in writing. <BR><BR>Spoken, 1 mars is pronounced &quot;premier mars&quot; - - and you could also say &quot;a neuf heures, le soir&quot;, instead of 21:00.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Je voudrais (I would like)
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:45 AM

No need to write s'il vous pla&icirc;t in this letter.I have included the option to list your fax number if you have one. The restaurant might not have email.<BR>&quot;Madame, Monsieur,<BR>Je voudrais faire une r&eacute;servation le 1er mars &agrave; 21h00 dans votre restaurant.<BR>Veuillez me confirmer la disponibilit&eacute; d'une table &agrave; [# of places needed] couverts ou bien par t&eacute;l&eacute;copie au 1 xxx xxx xxxx, ou bien par email &agrave; [EMAIL NAME].<BR>Vous remerciant par avance de votre attention, je vous prie d'agr&eacute;er, Madame, Monsieur, l'expression de mes salutations distingu&eacute;es.<BR>Type your name, ex. John DOE (ALL CAPS LAST NAME)&quot;<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Rex: you would say: &Agrave; neuf heures DU soir OR &agrave; vingt-et-une heures (in which case it is redundant to say du soir). It is incorrect to say &agrave; neuf heures LE soir.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Speaking on the phone in another language is a relatively difficult task---not only will you have to express yourself, but you'll have to understand the reply. Unless you're prepared to deal with questions about alternate times and so forth (harder because you can't see the person you're talking to), I'd just ask for an English speaker up front. If not available you'll manage to muddle through, but at least the reservationist will make extra sure that you're both clear on the details.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM

at the phone:<BR>Pourriez-vous me r&eacute;server une table (non-fumeurs)pour ... personnes le premier mars &agrave; vingt et une heures au nom de .... s'il vous pla&icirc;t?<BR><BR>This is the exact translation, however I know this is probably not good Engish:<BR><BR>Could you reserve for me a (non smokers) table for ... persons, the first March at nine o' clock at the name of... s.v.p? <BR><BR>Bon app&eacute;tit et bon anniversaire Kristy!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:35 AM

In reading your post I am curious...must I make most all my dinner reservations in advance or is it possible for us to walk in a few places??
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:36 AM

In reading your post I am curious...must I make most all my dinner reservations in advance or is it possible for us to walk in a few places?? We'll be in Paris in April for 4 nights and I thought to leave a few nights open&gt;
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:40 AM

You should have a reservation before you arrive at the restaurant. However, except for the best addresses in town, the reservation can usually be made just a day or two in advance (or the same day).<BR><BR>If you are staying at a hotel, ask the concierge (or the desk clerk, if it is a 3* or 4* hotel without a concierge) to make the reservation for you.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Is there such thing as non-smoking areas in Paris restaurants? We were prepared to &quot;suck it up&quot;, so to speak, knowing everyone seems to smokes there!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:09 AM

At an upscale restaurant, it is preferred to reserve. But if you see a nice, cozy type of place and decide to go there, you really don't have to make it into such a formal affair and reserve. Just walk in. If it's crowded, you'll be seated soon enough and can have a cocktail while waiting.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:03 PM
rex

Thank you, Eye Spy.<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:14 PM
rex

Thank you, Eye Spy.<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Eye Spye is right.<BR>If you don't want to make a reservation, you can always try without.<BR>You just go into the restaurant, wait fot the "garcon" to come and ask:" Une table pour... personnes dans le coin non-fumeurs s.v.p."He will answer: "Suivez-moi s.v.p." and you follow him.(Most of the American are non-smokers, I suppose)There are of course places for non-smokers in the restaurants!!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Eye Spye is right.<BR><BR>If you don't want to make a reservation, you can always try without. There are so much restaurants in Paris... <BR><BR>You just go into the restaurant, wait fot the "garcon" to come, and you ask:" Une table pour... personnes dans le coin non-fumeurs s.v.p. "He will answer: "Suivez-moi s.v.p." and you follow him.(Most of the American are non-smokers, I suppose)There are of course places for non-smokers in the French restaurants!!!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:49 PM

Regarding walk in and non smoking sections in Paris, I often got a feeling that they were less desirable places to sit, such as right next to the kitchen. Even if it was one hour ahead, we felt we got better tables by reserving ahead and in the smoking section. Anyone else felt this way?