Search

Mafra

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mafra

Is it difficult to go for 1/2 day to Mafra from Lisbon?
I was thinking to go using public transport, but I receive advice to take a tour, as the trains do not tun often and it will take long time. Really I don't want to waste my time .

I found an afternoon tour (from 14:30) with Gray line. It goes to Mafra and Obidos. 80 $.
If I take this, I have enough free time in the morning to visit some other places in Lisbon.
If I do not take the tour, I am not sure that I'll still have time for something else except Mafra.

Can please somebody who was there to tell me what is the best option?
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Hi, Valtor,

I usually try to limit my post to the specific questions asked by the posters, rather than give my opinions on things that were not asked. But I'm making an exception for your question about Mafra.

If I were going to spend a short time in Lisbon and environs, there is no way I would spend even half a day at Mafra. Others may have different opinions but I found it cold, imposing, tasteless and not worth the visit.

The Lisbon area, and Lisbon, are beautiful and wonderful, but Mafta, IMO, is neither.

You may have special reasons to visit Mafra, so please don't take this in the wrong way. But if you're a "general purpose tourist" going to Lisbon, I would recommend that you think about spending that half day in many other ways. And I'm happy to give you opinions if you're interested.

Laurie
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Laurie. Your advice is very helpful, as I try to receive as much suggestions from people who visited, and then, I shall include in my plan what I consider that is interesting for me.
About Mafra I found many good opinions and I saw some pictures, it seems that I'll like it, but still I am not sure if I have to take a tour or can do this independently in 1/2 day.

We have 7 full days in Lisbon. Based on suggestions received here in this forum and on some answers received from museums regarding 31 Dec, I modified my original plan. However, I still have some questions, as you see below.

First day
-Take Tram 28 for a first view of the city
-Alfamat. Jorge Castle, Monasterio St Vicente, Decorative art Museum, Se Cathedral, Rua Augusta

Monday (a day when most of the palaces and museums are closed)
-Walk on: Praca de Commercio, Rossio Square,Santa Justa elevator, Rua Augusta
- Afternoon: Mafra Palace and Obido (tour?)

Tues.
- Belem (Jeronimus Monastery, Discovery Monument + elevator, Belem Tower (exterior only), Coach Museum
- Ajuda Palace
- see 25 April Bridge + Christo Rei monument

Wednesday
- Fronteira Palace (at 11)
- Anastacio Goncalves museum of decorative art
- Glubekian museum

Thursday
- Sintra ( Pena castle,Quinta de Regaleiga ,National Palace , Castelo dos Moros
- Queluz Palace

Friday - 31 Dec .
- Tile museum (I checked and they are open this day)
- view Bridge Vasco de Gama and Portugal Pavilion
- NYEve celebration

Saturday - 1st of Jan. - Cascais + Cabo del Boca
As it will be winter, is better to go to Estoril instead Cabo del Boca?
Is it an easy and nice walk from Cascais to Estoril?

Please criticize the plan above. Are some very interesting things that I miss? Is enough time for what I scheduled in each day? Any new ideas and suggestions will be very helpful.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM

Hi, Valtor,
If you will be driving, you could easily visit Mafra and Obidos in one day as a day trip from Lisbon. I don't know about organized tours, but I think a car would give you a lot more flexibility.

I have put together a walking tour of Lisbon for my friends and it may be helpful to you (especially for your Monday when stuff is closed) : http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-of-lisbon.cfm

Here are some day-specific suggestions:

Wednesday you have scheduled for a palace and two museums -- they are in all different parts of the city, and if it were me, I'd find that to be too much in the "culture" category for one day. I do love all of the places you've listed, but I think that you might find it hard to enjoy all three in one day.

Thursday,you have scheduled both Sintra (which is worth at least a whole day, probably more) and Queluz (which is worth at least a few hours). Again, I think that both destinations are wonderful, but I think you've put too much in one day.

Saturday -- you can never tell what the weather will be like, but I was at Cabo da Roca on Jan 1, 2009 and it was spectacular weather. I prefer Cabo da Roca a hundred times over Estoril as a day destination. And there are a couple of very nice spots for a walk along the coast that are glorious. If you have a car and have the time, I would recommend a New Years Day lunch at the restaurant at Praia d'Adraga http://www.restaurantedaadraga.com/ It's in between Sintra and Cabo da Roca. It's a restaurant right on the beach (which is small and beautiful), and the fish is fresh and delicious. You will definitely need a car to get there, though. I had a New Years Day lunch there with 8 family members in 2009 and it was incredible. After lunch we went to Cabo da Roca and spent a few hours walking. Wonderful.

Sounds like a great trip, good luck, Laurie
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

My husband and I visited Mafra independently, taking a bus from Campo Grande bus station. Travelling there and back was pretty straightforward - the journey was about 45 minutes each way. I enjoyed the visit, but with the following caveat - you can only visit under the supervision of a tour guide, and the tours were in Portuguese only. We felt that we missed out on a lot, but having said that, it was well worth the visit and we were glad that we made the effort. It was certainly a lot more economical than $80 for a half-day tour!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Laurie, thank you very much for the walking tour. I printed it and then put it on a google map, to understand better the directions.
I am so glad that you gave me this, it is exactly what I was thinking that I would want to have! Thanks again.

I think that you are right about planning to much in some days. I put there all things which I want to visit, but if the time will not be enough, I shall decide on the site (I am sure that I'll be very sad, as I like to do all what I plan !!!).
On the other side, we shall be in vacation and we want to enjoy our trip, not to run!

Ter2000, I still have to decide how to visit Mafra. If I'll find the bus schedule (I understand that it is one per hour), probably we'll go independently.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM

To Valtor

a) Mafra bus from Campo Grande - http://www.mafrense.pt; service is very frequent; bus goes to convert
b) Belem - there is very interesting modern art museum (if you are a fan) in Belem Culture Center. museum is free. you can also visit famous Pasteis Belem shop; very tasty pastries http://www.pasteisdebelem.pt/en.html
c) Sintra - I doubt that you'll have time to visit all palaces if you allocate the whole day. we spent at least 2 hrs in each. Pena & Mouros are beside each other. SNP is between rail station and town center (where tourist office is); Quinta de Regaleiga is pass the tourist office. SNP and QR can be reached by foot from the rail station; bus or taxi is needed for the others. Queluz Palace is a separate train stop (we didn't go)
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for info regarding Mafra, hkto.
Re. modern art museum in Belem, I shall look in internet to see what exactly is there, if it is too much abstract art, then it is not for us.

Re. palaces in Sintra, probably you are right that we'll have not time for all. I think that we shall visit Pena and National Sintra palace. In afternoon we'll go to Queluz.

I think that Quinta de Regaleiga should be visited in summer, as I understand that the gardens are the most beautiful thing there are and they are very special .

What do you think, is a good ideea to skip this time QDR and Mouros?
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM

All except SNP are better visited in the warm weather. Lush gardens in Pena & QR are part of the attraction. Mouros is also better in warm weather as people mostly walk along the fortifications; not much to see inside. Belem museum is all modern art (Warhol, etc); we found it interesting. Another suggestion is to buy 12 euro Scott daily pass; it covers train from Lisbon to Sintra & all Scott transport in Sintra, Cascais, etc http://www.scotturb.com/ptprecos.htm I think Cascais bus goes to Cabo de Roca from Sintra.