Madrid-Toledo transportation

Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid-Toledo transportation

Tried searching, but too much clutter and misdirection off topic. I prefer hotel pickup, but assume we must go to a bus stop. Because of time constraints, we want to leave early am, and return 2-4 pm. we don't need a guide in Toledo. Any suggestions or advice ? Bus schedule seems confusing. Are these trip times available ? Thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 07:46 PM

Take a taxi to the train station. The train ride is only about half an hour.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 09:14 AM

I think that's the best idea also if you rally want hotel pickup. Because if you have trouble navigating the metro or bus system, getting to the place where you catch the bus to/from Toledo may be too much for you. I did that, the metro station is at the south end of Madrid (Plaza Elliptica, I think), but it's a huge station and even finding the proper bus place was a bit tricky, to be honest (there are several floors in that station, it's huge). I don't remember the schedule itself being particularly confusing, though.

So I'm not sure why the schedule was confusing, if you did want to take the bus this is their website, you just put in your dates and it shows you all possibilities, they have buses about every 30-60 minutes.

https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/coach/madrid-toledo
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 09:39 AM

I think that SusanP was referring to taking the metro to the Atocha rail station then catching the 30-minute AVANT train to Toledo (which is what we do). Round trip cost never varies, unless one uses a Tarjeta Dorada (sr. discount card). R.T. fare is €22.20.

There are very early am AVANT departures during the week, but Toledo monuments don't open until 10 am. And certain trains, some departures and some returns, can sell out (know from experience) because Toledo is within commuting distance of Madrid. So it's best to purchase tickets a day or so in advance or online at Renfe.

But there's also the bus, as Cristina explains, with even more frequent departures/returns and r.t. fare costs only €10..
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 10:07 AM

I did not mean metro. OP said they wanted to be picked up at the hotel, so that would mean a taxi to the train station. I thought train would be easier than bus and probably quicker.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, a train is preferable to a bus ride.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 12:29 PM

Sorry! Yes Susan said clearly (!) taxi to rail station.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 09:04 AM

IN fact, the train is really less than 30 minutes faster than the bus, so I don't think that's big issue. Because the train station is farther away from Toledo than the bus station, also. I took the bus from the bus station into central Toledo (in theory you can walk, but it's an uphill climb), although you can take a taxi, I'm sure. I wasn't in any big hurry for a day trip that having to save a few minutes made any difference, I go with the flow when I do day trips.

The bus was perfectly comfortable and nice, also, I don't know comparable views.

So I think it's just personal preference and maybe cost, if that matters to you.

If you are used to navigating train stations, the train might be easier for you. I speak and understand Spanish well enough that I did find the bus and it wasn't a big problem but I did have to ask a couple questions about directions and where to buy a ticket.

The bus station is only about 700 meters from the TI office, but it is a bit uphill hike. The train station is across the river about 1.5 km away. IN both cases, you would probably have to take a bus or a taxi to get to the center.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:30 AM

jeterrey,
You may have already taken your trip, but in case you haven't and decide to go by train-

From the Toledo train station (interesting neo- mudéjar architecture), you can take Unauto city bus 5, 11, 61 or 62 to the Plaza de Zocodover, the main square, to begin your touring. The bus stop is on Paseo de la Rosa. Go to the right when exiting the station. The bus ticket costs 1.40 euros.
Or a taxi should cost under 5 euros.

From the bus station buses 5 and 12 go to the Plaza de Zocodover if you don't want to walk.

At the Plaza Zocodover #8 there is a regional tourist info center, Casa del Map, where you can get a city map listing the major sites to start your touring. It opens at 9 am.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 02:09 PM

We took a train twice, the bus once.
preferred the train
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I am convinced that we can rather easily take a train or bus depending on which is more readily available. We will be staying at the Hotel Santo Mauro, so I think we will inquire there about which is more convenient. Hopefully we can walk to the train/bus station. Since there are 4 of us, splitting a cab may not be a bad option either. Will it be easy to get a cab in Toledo ?
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 08:26 AM

No problem with getting cabs in Toledo..
If you can , avoid going on Sunday...it is jammed more than usual.
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Your hotel is not in walking distance to neither ,but much closer to the train station..taxi to
would be less than 10 euros.
Toledo is very touristy..taxis are not a problem
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 03:33 PM

I echo danon's "avoid going on Sunday", also because some of the monuments have truncated hours, closing at 3 pm.
The Cathedral is closed on Sunday to cultural visits until 2 pm.

El Greco, Sephardic, Alcázar and Santa Cruz Museums are free all day Sunday, but you only save 11 euros total and have to deal with the morning crowds. Free entrance=crowds

Closed on Mondays: Sephardic Museum/Synagogue of the Transit plus Military Museum