Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train reservations from Madrid to Toledo??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Nancy

My husband and I are going to Spain and Portugal next month for the first time. We are staying the first few days in Madrid including a day trip to Toledo. That trip will be on a Sunday. Do you think it is necessary to make train reservations or could we just go to the train station and get on the train? We will be going early Sunday and returning late the same night (or as late as the train schedule will allow--I know there are websites where I can check out that information.) Thanks so much for any advice.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Seamus

Can't hurt to reserve - we had no problem on this same route without a reservation, but on the return trip the train was pretty full.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:49 AM
cooter

Might as well make the reservation, although there should not be a problem with just showing up. The Spanish rails website is:<BR><BR>http://www.renfe.es<BR><BR>It lists the schedule. You can call in your reservations at 902 24 02 02.<BR><BR>Most people prefer taking a bus as they run more frequently and later than the train. Cost is about the same as is trip length. The website for the main bus station in Madrid is:<BR><BR>http://www.estaciondeautobuses.com/<BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:44 AM
lori

this is NOT a hostile query -- i just wondered if the folks posting in favor of reservations have actually made them. we just got back from spain 3 weeks ago and were told by a booking agent in madrid that you could not reserve train to toledo, you just went to the station (atoche) and bought them, which we did. it was a weekday, i don't know if that makes any difference. this same booking agent had no problems getting us advance, reserved seat tickets on the ave to seville. anyway, we took an early am train out of madrid and the last train back from toledo so we weren't concerned with how often the trains run, it just seemed easier at the time since we were going by train seville another to book tickets at the same time. but since we couldn't maybe the bus would have been more flexible. since our return train broke down and we had to switch (along with numerous spanish teenagers returning from a spring break camp-out) to a local train (many stops), 20-20 hindsight would say take the bus!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Maribel

Nancy,<BR>Just wait to buy your ticket at Atocha station, and there choose the time for your return and buy a r.t. ticket. Here's some info about travelling to Toledo by train and bus from my Madrid file:<BR><BR>TOLEDO:<BR>By bus-<BR>"Continetal-Galiano" bus from Estacion del Sur bus station (metro: Mendez Alvaro, metro station right underneath bus station, circular grey line #6), departs every 30 min., far more departures than the train. Try to catch an "expreso", which should take right under an hr. Drops you off outside medieval walls, then catch city bus #5 or 6 (very steep, uphill 3/4 mile walk) to the center of town, the Plaza del Zocodovar, where you'll want to start touring.<BR> <BR>Or by train-<BR>From ATOCHA rail station, (metro blue line #1), take the Regional Express, which takes 1 hr. 15 min (some returns take just 1 hr) These trains are tourist class only. No first class seats. Check www.renfe.es There are currently departures at 8:30 and 10:14 a.m. and returns from Toledo at 4:20, 6, 6:57 and 8:58 p.m. From Toledo's extravagant Moorish style train station, take a city bus, #5 or #6 (or taxi) that will take you to the Plaza del Zocodovar.<BR>

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Andre

Nancy,<BR><BR>Took the (commuter) train a few years back - should have done the bus!<BR><BR>Here are the schedules and prices - 3.64 Euros the bargain of a lifetime!!!<BR><BR>http://www.continental-auto.es/continental/js_chorario.php?zona=_MA&origen=MADRID%20%28M.ALVA RO%29<BR><BR>Buen viaje,<BR>Andre

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:04 AM
cb

We were in Madrid September, 2001; took a day trip to Toledo. We went by bus going there and by train to return. We did not make reservations, showed up at the stations to get the tickets. We found the train to be more convenient because the city bus to Plaza Zocodover stopped in front of it. From bus station to city bus stop required a steep uphill walk and we inquired a few times because we could not tell if we were going in the right direction.

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Nancy

Thanks to all of you for such good and specific information. The time is really near (we are leaving next week!) and I am so excited. Thanks so much for taking the time to give such good advice.<BR><BR>Nancy