Reload this Page >

FIRST TIME IN EUROPE!

Search

FIRST TIME IN EUROPE!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:48 PM
SUNSHYN

FIRST TIME IN EUROPE!

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME TIPS ON WHERE TO EAT ON A BUDGET,WHAT TO SEE, AND WHAT ESSENTIALS TO PACK FOR VENICE, MILAN, AND MONACO? THIS IS MY PRESENT TO MY DAUGHTER FOR HER COLLEGE GRADUATION. SHE IS VERY INTERESTED IN ART AND IS AN INTERIOR DESIGNER. I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS A LASTING MEMORY... ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS!

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Jen

1. Take off yoru caps lock and STOP SHOUTING AT US.<BR><BR>2. Do a search on these boards and read past messages on your destinations of interest as well as several recent long threads on suitcases, luggage, packing, clothing.<BR><BR>3. Since your daughter is an adult now, let her do a lot of the research and making choices of what to do.

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Vicki

I agree with Jen, let your daughter do the research. The anticipation generated in the process of doing the research is a great part of the excitement of going to Europe. I found the Rick Steves books a helpful place to get ideas. When I went on the "grand tour", for the first time three years ago, I did all the research and got so much more out of the trip than my husband did.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Sunshyn

Jen,<BR>Thanks for the posting "rules". I am very new to computers, and didn't realize I was shouting!<BR>Both my daughter and I are looking up information. That's how I came across this site. I was just looking for first hand info.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:08 PM
monica

I personally would not stay in Milan. There are many much more beuaatiful places to visit in Italy. It is eseentially an industrial town, which is good for designer shopping and not much else. Monaco and Venice are great choices however.

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Carin

If she's interested in art, don't skip Florence!!!

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Nancy

Dear Sunshyn,<BR><BR>Last year was my first trip to Italy and I spent soooooo much time reading about restaurants - I LOVE food. (Won't do that again)<BR><BR>But some of the best places we ate at were recommended by the locals. "I send you to non-tourista place" - and it worked out great.<BR><BR>One of our best meals in Florence was at a local trattoria that we happened upon after learning that you need a reservation for the "better" restaurants, and we didn't feel like eating at 10:30 PM!<BR><BR>First figure out where you are staying and then eat in "your" neighborhood. You'll be so tired by the end of the day and probably won't feel like a long walk.<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR>

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:29 AM
kate

She should go to Florence for sure, and only go to Milan if she's got something specifically design related she wants to see (I'm thinking that as she's a design graduate, and Milan is the design capital of Italy, that may be her reason).<BR><BR>Actually I'd skip Monaco in favour of Florence.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Janda

I would opt for Florence instead of Milan. Michealanglo's David is a must see. Venice is a excellent choice. Monaco is very expensive. I prefer Menton.<BR>Hope your daughter realizes what a great father she has...

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Emma

Florence is a great place if you love art. Gnocchi was my favorite food in Florence. (they are like potato dumplings cooked like pasta) served with a variety of sauces. My daughter's favorite was the butter sage sauce. Mine is always with pesto but they are great with tomato sauce too.<BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:42 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Ironically you have picked 2 of the most expensive destinations in Europe for your budget trip. I would consider not staying in Venice and Monaco if you are truly budget travelers. You can stay close by and day trip into town. I agree, Milan is not the best, but it is the fashion capitol. Good luck !

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Ira

Hi Sunshyn,<BR>You didn't ask about places to stay. Is this because the itinerary has been planned?<BR>How long will your daughter be in Europe?<BR>As far as lasting memories go, Venice is great.<BR>I agree with the others, Florence is better than Milan and Monaco.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:01 AM
ann

Yes Venice is expensive but as a budget traveler I can tell you it is possible to stay there and the experience of staying in Venice is worth it. I had planned on staying on the mainland and day tripping in to save money and am so glad I listened to others and stayed in Venice itself. Another thread right now talks about hotels under $150 in Venice. Everyone's priorities are different and most budget travelers have to give up something. Some stay in very cheap places, others skip &quot;expenisve&quot; cities. I personally skimp on food in order to see the places I want to see and stay in hotels that are at least clean and comfortable. My advice: don't skip Venice and don't stay outside it. One of my favorite places on earth (after Paris).

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 10:00 AM
lbb

I agree with the other posters suggesting that you go to Florence. My husband and I both graduated with a degree in Fine art. It is amazing the amount of things in Florence that we studied in our Art History classes. Michealangelo's David, Rape of the Sabine, Day and night by Michealangelo. Thanks to the Medici family the list goes on and on. <BR><BR>Your daughter, if her main interest is art, might pull out some of her Art History textbooks. She should be able to decide where she would like to go based on where most of the art she is interested in is located.<BR><BR>Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 01:01 PM
William

A friend of mine is the head of the art institute here. I told him we were going to visit Switzerland, and asked where else we should go to see art and architecture. He said Venice and Florence, Venice for the town, and Florence for the art.<BR><BR>When my sister graduated she went to Europe for three months. She stayed in hostels, and really enjoyed it. I don't see hostels mentioned often in these pages, but for someone right out of school, perhaps accustomed to the dormitory life, I think they can really help to stretch your money and allow you to make the tour longer.