Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with daughter's summer backpacking trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter wants to travel Europe this summer with a female friend. My son traveled last year on his own and I was fine. I am worried about 2 girls travleing alone. They are in college. What's a good way for them to get the information they need about current costs and best ways to do this on their own. We just got back from a wonderful trip, but it is very expensive now. She assures me they will travel on the cheap. Is that possible? What books should they get? What online place gives reliable informaiton? This site has been so good for my travels I was hoping you can help a concerned mother make sure her daughter is getting good info. Thanks

Diane
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:33 PM

Hi Teach905

Your daughter is going to have a great time, don't worry. Many college girls (and even high school) go at it alone, and are fine. If she's got a good head on her shoulders, your worries should be minimal.

The two backpackers bibles are "Let's Go" and "Lonely Planet". Let's Go is written by Harvard students and is geared more towards students. Lonely planet has a more diverse staff, started off by Australians, and targets budget travelers in general. She should check out both books and see what she likes.

The caveat with Lonely Planet is that it is not updated every year. Let's Go is. I had a couple of lonely planet guides and the info was already outdated. Have her try to get the latest and greatest.

Now, if she wants to concentrate solely on Western Europe, than the western europe guidebooks are the way to go. More detail, places to eat, etc. I personally would not get a Western Europe book again because I found myself in Eastern Europe somehow and loving it. Backpacking has a way of turning into quite an adventure. If she does go to eastern Europe, she will travel far more cheaply than western Europe.

There is a website called Eurotrip.com. The message boards are great to peruse through and she will get all kinds of info from packing to hostels to night life. She should check it out. Also, I hear Lonely Planet's Thorntree discussion boards are good, but I pretty much just used Eurotrip.

Since she is traveling in the summer, I would advise her to use Internet cafes and book her hostel of choice a few days in advance. Unlike the winter months (when I traveled) it is hard to walk up to the most popular hostels and get a room. I've heard stories of backpackers getting of trains in Barcelona and being unable to find ANYTHING in the summer. Hostels like the very popular (and conveniently located) Archi Rossi Hostel in Florence don't take reservations, but in the summer if you are not there between 6-8 am, forget it.

Rest assured, many kids have done this and your daughter will be fine. She will need a money belt (there have been recent stories here in fodors where valuables were stolen on the first day of the trip!) and she needs to USE it. Tell her fashion is not a priority for backpackers!

Any questions, please post. I was 30 when I did my 4 month backpacking trip this year, and I wouldn't have traded that experience for the world. It was definitely worth quitting my job for the adventure!!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:36 AM

These sites are good. All have associated forums.

http://www.guideforeurope.com
http://www.lonelyplanet.com
http://www.eurotrip.com
http://www.bugeurope.com
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. This mother now feels much better about the whole ordeal. I know when we were in Italy last summer we ran into lots of girls traveling on their own. Ay that time, one of them was not my daughter. I just had to hear from someone who had done it that it really is ok. I know she's in college and anything can happen anywhere.

Thanks for the input and the websites and books. I have forwarded everything on to her, and now it is up to her to plan and figure it all out.

Thanks\
Diane
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I WANT my daughter to travel to Europe next summer but she can't find anyone to go with (small town Alabama - Europe is too foreign and far away for most of these people to think about).

I traveled to Europe with other girls twice, stayed mostly in youth hostels, spent very little money, and had a great time (back in the day).

Your daughter will have the time of her life and you will be glad you let her go. All of the above suggestions are great.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:49 AM

DC, would your daughter consider going alone or are you just a little nervous about it?
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 03:16 PM

When I was 20 years old (which is more years ago than I care to admit), I ended up travelling alone to Ireland, Scotland and England for 10 weeks. My best friend at the time backed out of the trip at the very last minute, and I had no choice but to go or to give up. It was FABULOUS! I stayed almost always in hostels (except for a few B&B's in Ireland, when they cost all of a pound!), and met people that became friends for years to come. I met one woman at a youth hostel, and she and I travelled together for almost a month.

It was an adventure of a lifetime, and at 20 years old (and female), I felt very comfortable travelling on my own. I rarely was lonely, found it easy to meet people and never felt unsafe or threatened in any way. I did choose to stay in Engish-speaking countries, and that made it easier for me; but friends of mine at the same time travelled throughout Europe in countries where they didn't speak the language, and managed very well.

It's easy when you're 20 to live cheaply when travelling; there are, of course, the youth hostels to stay in, and it's easy to buy food in stores instead of eating at restaurants. If she buys a train pass, that cost will be taken care of, and other than tourist sights, what else is there? Lodging and food use up most of a budget, so staying in hostels and buying food is very cost-effective. In fact, a wonderful way to explore different regions is buying at markets or in shops. So yes, it is easy to travel inexpensively.

Your daughter will be fine and will have a great time!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:49 PM

A great free resource for novice travelers, or even seasoned pros, and especially budget travelers, is the European Planning & Rail Guide, available free from Budget Europe Travel Service, one of the country's leading European rail experts. It's got great tips for Eurailing but also a well of info on lots of things, like packing. I'm a seasoned traveler but always find helpful things in it. (Call 800-441-9413 to get the guide sent free) I'm sure it would be of great use for your daughters and friends. I also highly recommend Let's Go Europe and Lonely Planet guides. And two females traveling along in Europe should not be worrisome at all. Au contraire - using the places mentioned in Let's Go should be safe as well as exciting.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:49 PM

I also traveled for a month after college with a girlfriend and we had a blast. We went in the Spring and the trains and hostels seemed to be full of American & Australian students. We made some new friends and even toured cities with a few of them during the trip. And yes, it is possible to travel cheaply in Europe. The key is to get Eurail train passes so they don't have to worry about transportation costs. They should also take their student IDs for discounts at museums, etc. She'll be fine and it'll be a trip she'll remember forever!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Now I'm jealous! Is there someway over 50's can travel like that and have a great time?

You really are making me feel loads better. Thanks

Diane
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 03:32 AM

Get you daughter to register (free) with Lonely Planet's version of travel talk - it's called Thorn Tree. She'll get all the relevant info she needs. 2 girls travelling alone is nothing to worry about. There's a generally accepted set of unwritten rules amongst backpackers and fellow travellers.
Travelling on the cheap will really depend on what countries they visit. Places like Scandinavia, Ireland, Germany (?) can be difficult to do on the cheap. Eastern Eurpean countries can be a fraction of the cost.
As regards books, I think Lonely Planet tends to be a bit more informative but it's just a personal preference at the and of the day.
One book to avoid like the plague is "Europe By Train" by Katie Howard (I think). Last time I looked, they were listing restaurants and other venues that were 8 / 10 YEARS out of date. Scary.
The best way to decide on a travel guide is to look up the version of it that contains your own city / town and see how accurate and detailed it is. Just rmeber, they're guides, not gospel.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:29 PM
tml

Rough Guide is ok too, but I like Lonely Planet.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another thumbs up for "Let's Go" -- used it extensively (good for finding laundromats too!), and still use it for fun places to go and great basic info, even though we're way past the hostel phase now. I went traveling at 19 with my 18 y.o. best friend (both females) -- back in those days, you could hitch hike without too many bizarre incidents ('70's); and I didn't return until I was 21. I spent one summer using the Eurailpass (youth) on my own, traveling all over the place on my own -- and this was in the days when I was insecure and shy! Boy did I get over that phase really quick. I know my mom had many moments of panic (not that she'd ever admit it), but the independence and responsibility it taught me has carried over to everything I've done and experienced since. To use poetic license to an old Stone's tune, let her catch her dreams before they slip away.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Just found an interesting article in a Swiss newspaper about Youth hostels:
http://www.nzz.ch/2003/11/19/english...nd4469004.html

May be helpful,

Ingo
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Hi There.. as a former college age girl who spent many months backpacking with my girlfriend.. I can only say.. it will be the trip of a lifetime! I remember more about that trip then many others I have taken since, and I sparked a life love of travel and adventure...Of more relative info.. my darling Sister in law just finished up a year of studying in the UK and spent every extra moment of holiday backpacking all over Europe with a girlfriend.. just to put this in perspective, my sister in law is 'super model" georgous, tall, blond and beautiful, plus she had never been outside of the US in her life until she went overseas for a year on her own.. This was an amazing experience for her.. the whole family is discussing how much more mature she is now, with all of her knowledge of cultures overseas. She came back a spectacular traveller, fit healthy and safe!!
I helped her book her tickets on
STA travel, which gives wondeful discounted prices on student airline tickets. She also had her trusty Let's Go Europe, 2002 and her student ID and an international youth hosteLling card.
You are so lucky you have a daughter who cares about seeing something of the world.. not just the inside of a shopping mall!!! Trust me.. this will be the best thing ever. So many of my friends, when I tell them about my adventures backpacking look at me with real remorse and say emphatically " I so wish I had done that when I was young".
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Here is the web address for STA travel in addition to Student airfares it provides a great deal of general info specifically for college students.

http://www.statravel.com/statravel/default.aspx