Madrid or Amsterdam?

Sep 16th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Madrid or Amsterdam?

Greetings!
We (28M and 25F) are residents of New York and, based on geographical/monetary constraints, can spend the next Thanksgiving weekend in either Madrid or Amsterdam. Please help us decide! Thanks in advance.

P.S. We haven't been to either of these cities.
Sep 16th, 2003, 03:35 PM

I've been to both but only briefly. I think that Amsterdam is more fun.
Sep 16th, 2003, 03:46 PM

You can't go wrong with either. Madrid is the pulsing wild heart of Europe - a city that eats lunch at 2, dinner at 10:30 and parties til 8 a.m. It's got a hypnotic, frenetic energy that's addictive.
Amsterdam is the laid-back cool capital of Europe. Friendly, relaxed, free-spirited and very pretty. It's got the big city goodies but is on a much smaller, easily-managed scale than Madrid, Paris, London or Rome. It, too, is a great party town.
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:16 PM

I've been to both but tend to prefer Amsterdam personally. Amsterdam has excellent museums (Rijks museum & Van Gogh museum, Rembrandts huis museum & Netherlands Scheepvaart museum), great tasting cheese and amazing coffee. Be sure to walk along the Herengracht, Keizersgracht and Prinsengracht canals. You can take boat rides through the canals as well. We discovered these canals on our 3rd trip to Amsterdam. We really like the Park Hotel in the Museum District.
Madrid was also well worth seeing but much more formal and perhaps a bit less fun. The Museo Nacional Del Prado is an excellent art museum and the Palacio Real is worth a visit. We stayed at the Palace Hotel which is in an excellent location but is very formal. Knowing some Spanish is a definite bonus. If you have the time, I'd recommend a day trip to Toledo.
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:46 PM

But if you're into clubbing and nightlife, Madrid gets the edge. (Not a big one though, 'cause Amsterdam has great clubbing and nitelife, plus all those, well, Amsterdam-only things!)
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses!

I already chose Amsterdam. I'd probably take Spain over the Netherlands, but since I will only have 3 days (enough for one city), I'm heading to Amsterdam. The flights were also slightly cheaper and more convenient time-wise.