Amsterdam or Madrid?

Search

Amsterdam or Madrid?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam or Madrid?

We're planning a trip, our 14 yr old daughter will be going with us.
Which would be a better destination?
TY!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:38 PM

I love Madrid. The parks, the museums, the dancing, the shows.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM

If you're American, go to Madrid. Too much sex in Amsterdam.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Hmm, interesting...
Yes, we're American.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM
nbujic

When and for how long?
Madrid is very hot in the summer.

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
They don't have sex in Madrid? Is that why everyone is out on the streets at night?

I agree that you should take the time of year into consideration. That said, I was in Madrid last summer for just two days and loved it. The teenagers in my group loved it too. People all come outside at dusk when it starts cooling down, and the atmosphere at night is wonderful.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:02 PM

It depends on the time of year, which can dictate the weather in your chosen city.

If you're into museums, it also depends on what is open, being remodeled, etc....

The 'sex' in Amsterdam is limited to a small area, and not affecting the rest of the city.

I've been to Madrid twice and Amsterdam more time than I can count (mostly business) and I like really like both cities for totally different reasons.

Try and look at the cultures and determine which one you would want to go visit.

Madrid has more day trip options than Amsterdam, if that is important. Toledo and El Escorial just to name a few.

If you decide on Madrid, open jaw with Barcelona. For a 'second' city, this is a great city unto itself.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I reckon Amsterdam would be the best place. I love Madrid as well but the public transport is poorer and while the museums are of similar importance the benefit of high quality English cannot be ruled out. If on the other hand you want her Spanish to improve then I might change my mind.

Madrid can be very hot but hey it is a holiday
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:28 AM

Depends on the time of the year. In summer better go to Amsterdam. (and forget that crazy remark about all sex...probably a narrow minded person!!).
Make a canaltour, visit some of the museums, go to the Zoo, take a train to the beach in Zandvoort, see the windmills at Zaanse Schans, early morning to the flowerauction in Aalsmeer, bus to Volendam and boat to Marken en also Madurodam (NL in miniature) in The Hague.
In early spring and late autumn the weather in Madrid might be more pleasant.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info.
We were pretty set on Amsterdam (October trip) but kind of got side tracked when my husband and I thought Madrid would be nice, at least for us, but didn't know about our 14 yr old.
She's been to Rome so we didn't know where to take her next.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM

We took our 14 y/o daughter to Amsterdam last November and had a great time. We've also taken her to Madrid (October), but she was younger (10 I think). I really like both cities; think you could plan a great trip in either one. There were things she liked about both. In Madrid, I know she enjoyed Retiro Park, our daytrip to Segovia with walk along the base of the town, and the archeological museum, but we did have to limit our time in art museums to a short visit to the Prado. BTW, we were in Madrid in October and it was beautiful. In Amsterdam, of course the Anne Frankhuis was the highlight for her, and she enjoyed the Rijksmuseum (only one wing open right now) and wandering in the markets. The Red Light District was not a problem; we just prepared her for what she'd see and went on about our business.

I honestly can't tell you which I think she liked better--I'll ask her when she gets home from school today!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:26 AM

I have taken my son and daughter to both cities when they each were about 14-15. Of the two they preferred Amsterdam. In general, their favorite cities (not in order) were Amsterdam, Paris, Venice and London.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've recently been to both cities for the first time and I think Amsterdam would be more attractive for a teen. The Anne Frank house, Zaanse Schans, the canals (and the requisite boat ride) and the bikes, zoo, etc. are all very appealing to someone of that age. I don't see the same draw in Madrid.

Forget the comment about sex, you can avoid it if you have to, I almost made it a whole week without seeing it....
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:50 AM

My daughter much preferred Amsterdam to Madrid in a trip we took when she was 14, although she was very happy to see Guernica.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM

after visiting both cities, I'd recommend Amsterdam. Its unique with the canals, has great art museums(rijks and van gogh), history (anne frank huis, dutch resistance museum), churches (oulde and nuekirk, our lord in the attic, etc), parks (vondel especially), canal tours, great street food, unusual places to just walk thru - redlight (in the day, its hardly noticeable), buejinhof, dam square, amstel hotel, etc.