Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid! - Market 'san Micuel' and oldest restaurant in the world Botin!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A great culinary experience in the Spanish Market and dining in the Guinness oldest restaurant in the world! To see more photos, please visit http://wp.me/p5Lw9a-bK and welcome for your comments!

Strolling in the city centre of Madrid and looking for food is a fun activity – I am actually impressed by the taste and the delightful variety of Spanish cuisine: Seafood Paella, Tapas and Sangria, Iberia Ham, and Churro (like) ~ make you almost impossible to say no to all these yummy delicacies and just walking around in Madrid may surprise you in a good way.

One afternoon we wandered to a local market - Mercavo de san Micuel, not far from the Plaza Major. The market was not exceptionally big but it was well-lit by the sunlight. During lunch time, the market was packed with hungry travelers, and the food stores had made their delicacy all ready and long queues were seen everywhere. Aside from the mouth-watering Tapas, Sangria, Paella, Churros, the market has also handicraft stores, bars, ham stores..., you name it. Outside the market was a dynamic dining and relentless clubbing area. The passionate latinos would probably give you the best hangover. The market closes 12 am weekdays, and extended to 2 am weekends, no city is more ALIVE than Madrid! One of the most unforgettable finds in the market is the fresh, and delicious oysters – oysters lovers alert!

We wandered in the city drunken after a fulfilling afternoon meal, we ran into the Restaurante Botin, which was claimed by the Guinness World Record to be “The oldest restaurant in the world”. It says on the certificate, the restaurant was opened in 1725 and has been operating ever since; it even retains the original 18th century firewood oven! It was running by the Gonzalez family.

As we had just eaten, we came back the same night - luckily we were able to grab a table just walk-in with only a short wait outside. We had a jug of Sangria, and tried Cochinillo Asado – Spanish Suckling pig (NOT Chicharrón!!), which seemed to be a signature dish of the restaurant. Well, it tasted good, and we had a good time, and the experience of dining in the oldest restaurant in the world was special enough.

Thank you for visiting my blog for all the photos and comments! - http://wp.me/p5Lw9a-bK
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 08:30 AM

We also did Botin's - since it seems to be mandatory in Madrid. It was OK - but nothing to write home about IMHO. I would not put it on my list again.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 08:57 AM

" since it seems to be mandatory in Madrid."

only for those who follow R. Steves' guide to the
most touristy places in Madrid.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 09:34 AM

"a jug of Sangria" Enough said!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 05:36 PM

I have never read a Steeeves guidebook - they are anathema to me. This was listed in at least 3 different guidebooks (we do a lot of research). Not surprised, just a little disappointed.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

We were just wandering on the streets and saw the place - it says "the oldest" doesn't mean it's the "greatest" I guess. Also, I heard there were lots of dispute whether Botin is really "the oldest restaurant"
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 07:14 PM

We have passed Botin many times.

And it just once again shows how Little Ricky can visit somewhere often and still not know it.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 07:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I thought the honor of being the oldest still in service restaurant belonged to St. Peter's Stiftkeller in Salzburg.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 02:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a shame to be sniffy about Botin when the OP clearly enjoyed the experience.

we in fact never found Botin, Rick or no Rick, and never got to taste the oysters in Madrid either which is a greater regret so far as I'm concerned.

I for one enjoyed your account of your trip, Kenny and if I ever get back to Madrid, I'll be trying to find those oysters.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 04:07 AM

Hi Kenny!

Thanks formposting and for the excellent pics on your blog. Please, more!
Always good to hear about new opinions.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 04:47 AM

<I heard there were lots of dispute whether Botin is really "the oldest restaurant">

I think El Rinconcillo in Sevilla from 1670 is in the competition, but it was arguably more a (tapas) bar back then: http://www.elrinconcillo.es/en/

I also love the Mercado San Miguel, especially the great quality fish and seafood stalls in here, and yes, the oysters!: http://www.mercadodesanmiguel.es/en/puestos/