Madrid Hotels - central but quiet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two American seniors (early 70's, Covid-vaccinated, mask-adherent), planning a week in Madrid in late September, early October, 2021. We've been to other Spanish cities on land trips and cruises - Madrid is the one major city we've missed, and we're eager to travel again. (We have already made one successful trip within the USA.)

Looking for hotel recommendations. The ME Madrid (Melia on Plaza de Santa Ana) is well-reviewed and centrally located - but I'm wondering it aims at a younger clientele (with its rooftop dj, etc.) and noise might be an issue. Also looking at hotels on Gran Via (like the Hyatt) but hoping for something on a less congested avenue that might have a variety of moderately priced restaurants nearby. We'd also like to be around a 20 minute walk from most central sights and/or near public transportation. The ME Madrid seems to fit that criterion.

Thanks for any suggestions. Location and a congenial atmosphere are more important to us than style, though it would be fun to stay in an architecturally-distinct building.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, jcnyc,

A couple of years ago [seems like longer] I spent 3 very quiet and comfortable nights here:

https://www.cataloniahotels.com/en/h...iAAEgLAZfD_BwE

It's in a very quiet street but there is plenty going on nearby, some very nice bars, restaurants and cafes and it's very walkable - 10 mins or so to the main museums, Gran Via, Plaza Mayor etc. etc. Also the staff are very nice. Highly recommended.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 12:13 PM

annhig's sounds more central. I wanted to be near the art museum s so this was perfect:

NH Paseo del Prado
Plaza Cánovas del Castillo, 4. 28014 Madrid

Bus, HopOn, taxi all at the door.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 12:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In Madrid, we stayed at the Hotel Principal, just off the Gran Via on a side street. Ask for a room in the rear of the building and it will be very quiet. Excellent location,walkable to Museums and Retiro Park, Historic building with a modern interior. We found it in an article in the NYT.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 03:10 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Preciados a few years ago. It is very central but on a pedestrian side street between Puerto del Sol and Gran Via that has lots of restaurants. We asked for a quiet room and didn't hear any street noise. We opted for a cheaper room which was clean and comfortable but nothing special. You might consider requesting one of the more deluxe rooms if the budget allows. The breakfast was a large buffet with many wonderful choices and I would happily return. https://preciadoshotel.com/en/
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 03:21 PM

We, like annhig, stayed at the Catalonia las Cortes in April 2019 (we’d first stayed in 2008) and thought it was a great hotel. I asked for a room on a higher floor (to see over the rooftops) - the first room they gave us this time faced the back of the hotel on the ground floor and I didn’t like it, so they moved us the next day. The hotel has a good breakfast with many choices, and a snack area (included in the price) near the lobby and bar with soup and small sandwiches. The room was spacious, bath had both shower and tub.

We’re also in our early 70s, walk a lot, and found the location to be excellent. From there we walked to the Palace, Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thysssen-Bornemisza museums very easily. We took the train one day to Toledo - it was fabulous. Click on my name and you can see my Trip Report, with the restaurants we enjoyed and the food tour we took.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to the five of you (annhig, TDudette, HappyTrvlr, KTtravel, and Iwan2go) who responded already, and so quickly. I appreciate your taking the time, and even more so, the recommendations based on your own experiences. I'm going to check out the hotels' room offerings, and map out their locations based on our proposed (and growing) list of sights. (And yes, we do plan to take days out of town- to see Toledo, Segovia, and the Escorial.) Thanks again!
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 07:31 AM

I've stayed at this hotel a couple times, it isn't too far from H Preciados but I think may be a little quieter. It's a very convenient location being a short walk to several metros, and the Opera even, but it's on a smaller quiet square and not a main street.

I really love this hotel, although I see it's gone modern decor unfortunately
https://www.intur.com/hotel-palacio-san-martin-madrid/

I had a room on an upper floor overlooking the interior ctyrd, as I recall, and it was pretty quiet. This is a relaly nice 4* hotel but is always cheaper than some more trendy options for some reason.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 08:16 AM

The breakfasts at my hotel were fabulous, albeit not so inexpensive.

FYI, for location and food info:

Trip Report Madrid and London - Fodor's Travel Talk Forums
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
You can also add the Villa Real on Plaza de las Cortes to your list. It was very nice & close to everything.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 05:49 PM

It doesn't look like the TR link went through. Click on my name and scroll down to the correct trip report. Sorry!
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

"Ian" - thanks for the additional hotel suggestion. I'll look it up.

"TDudette" - thanks for the directions for finding your trip report. Lots to think about. As an aside, you and I saw the same Sargent exhibit (drawings) in 2019 - I saw your report on that NYC trip in your list.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 05:54 AM

Small fellow Sargent lover world, jcnyc! Please share your Madrid experiences.
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 07:17 PM

Hello,

Lately Ive stayed at Catalonia Las Cortes ( my last trip to Madrid in Sept 2019), and also at the Westin Palace. I highly recommend either of them The Palace will probably be pricier.