Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Still looking for Rome hotel with reliable, quiet a.c. and good quiet rooms

Aug 17th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Exact location doesn't matter as much to me as those other considerations, though of course would like to be in pleasant walking distance from at least some sites. Having a great view doesn't matter as much.
What matters most is quiet and comfort. Good king bed (difficult to find in Rome, I'm learning), decent bathroom (doesn't need to be huge, but must have shower), a.c. that's not noisy and that genuinely cools room-- and, most of all, quiet surroundings. A professional associate has recommended Capo d'Africa, but there are reports that a.c. is noisy and ineffective, and I also can't get a clear reading on whether there are king beds. (The hotel has not answered any of the 3 e-mails I've sent.) I looked at reports on Trip Advisor, but most people focus on views and location in those reports; they're not our main priorities. I've looked at Hotel Ponte Sisto (I like the look of the little garden), but that hotel seems to specialize in accommodating families, and I'd prefer to find something less "kid friendly." (so that there'd be maybe a better chance of peace and quiet)
Our price range is $200-300.
I appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Aug 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM

AC in Italy will not be the same as in the US. The more upscale hotels will have better AC. Others will only have it on certain months or times of day. Some hotels have the room electricity on timers and your key card must be inserted in the wall for it to work which means your AC will only be on while you are in the room. What time of year are you traveling?
Aug 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM

The Hotel Parlamento have an excellent AC and a very nice bathroom..I dont think that they have a king size bed..Perhaps the new hotels outsite the city may have what you are looking for.
Aug 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM

We were very comfortable at the Hotel Lancelot near the Forum. We had a lovely terrace off of our room,which was quiet and roomy. I think the bed was a King, but you should check. Staff was very accommodating and breakfast quite good. Highly recommended.
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM

I would suggest a site that's given my family, friends, and I great results in the past: www.italiancollection.com. They have a wide selection of hotels, many fitting within your budget, and a little something for everyone, plus they speak English and are prompt when responding to emails. And I happen to know the Hotel Excelsior (you can of course book with them directly as well) has AWESOME A/C.
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for these prompt replies. I'll follow up (and no doubt return with more questions). I did look at Hotel Lancelot, since it was recommended by many people. I'm hoping to find something a little more upscale (if possible within my price range). I think that Capo is in that same area-- looks like a good location.
We'll be traveling next July.
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM

We stayed at the Santa Chiara in May of 2000 and had a wonderfully comfortable king bed and the AC cooled the room perfectly. I cannot remember how noisy it was, as I rely on the hum of the AC to drown out any other ambient noise that might keep me awake.
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Hi Poss:

To meet your requirements I would suggest our favorite, Hotel Modigliani...on Via Purificacione...a very quiet street between Via Veneto and the Spanish Steps, a block from Piazza Barberini. They have queen size beds..we're king-users but found them very comfortable. The A/C worked very well and quietly. Our room was just off the little garden courtyard. The staff was excellent and the interesting owners greeted us a few times in the breakfast room. Price is right for your needs. Try it...you'll like it.

Stu T.
http://www.hotelmodigliani.com/
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM
LJ

Have you checked out the Jolly Hotel chain? They are an Italianbased business hotel. The Leonardo da Vinci Jolly Hotel in central Rome is known for being quiet, offering (in its upgraded, not Standard rooms) King sized beds. Its reviews suggest that its air-conditioning and quiet locale are its greatest assests.

I can't comment on this locale, but we stayed in them, as business travelers, in Caserta and other spots and they do take good care of the traveler with your needs. Fabulous bathrooms, too!
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Poss was already given the recommendation of Hotel Modigliani, but he doesn't want to stay there because they don't answer his emails.

Thin
Aug 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for continued replies. Will look into.
Modigliani: I'd never written to them (Capo d'Africa is hotel which doesn't reply to my e-mails.) Too many reports about noise at Modigliani. Repeatedly: "thin walls"; "quite noisy." As this is our primary concern, I nixed the idea. (Also reports of bed "hard as concrete." I love firm beds, not hard beds. I know-- may be difficult to find good firm comfortable king bed in our price range.)

I greatly appreciate all suggestions.
Aug 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Nazionale Montecitorio, an inside room overlooking internal courtyard. Quiet and a.c. assured.
On the other hand, rooms overlooking the Piazza Montecitorio, while traffic free, can be noisy in the early morning hours.

One of our stays was in room 415, very quiet, king bed (which is typically two twins joined, not uncomfortable at all), huge bathroom with shower over tub.
http://www.hotelnazionale.it/
Aug 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Correction re: Nazionale.
the choice is twin or QUEEN. (I was mentally picturing our bed at the Santa Chiara..sorry)
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Poss:

Too many reports about noise at Modigliani. Repeatedly: "thin walls"; "quite noisy." As this is our primary concern, I nixed the idea. (Also reports of bed "hard as concrete." I love firm beds, not hard beds. I know-- may be difficult to find good firm comfortable king bed in our price range.)
I guess it's all in the eyes (or broken back) of the beholder. Having stayed at Modig three differet times, and my daughter with her family twice..and three friends (couples) at different times, none of these complaints have ever been a factor. If it was a concrete-like bed we'd have been outa there! Ditto for "noisy"!

So,Poss, good luck...you may have to go 5* to get what you want. Let us know what you finally find. Good for future reference.

stu
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

luvitaly: What did you think of Santa Chiara? (Another responder mentioned it, above.)
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

stu: I will for sure post if I find anything. If it were one night, I wouldn't pay this kind of attention (probably); but it'll be 3 or 4, so I'm hoping to find someplace really comfortable. Glad you and yours enjoyed your hotel.

luvitaly: I just looked at Nazionale website. A pleasant looking place, but rates for "better" rooms appear to be well above our price range.
Aug 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM

You could try the 4 star Hotel Alimandi. Their rooms were quiet with good A/C but I don't know if they have King size beds.
Aug 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Any opinions about staying on Aventine Hill?
Aug 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

I've e-mailed italianconnection several times: no reply.
Aug 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM

Poss: Do you mind sharing where you got the impression that the Villa San Pio was full of children, or that the hotel specialized in housing families?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO