Madrid Hotels and Neighborhood Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been to Madrid, and I am choosing between a few hotels, and two different neighborhoods I am currently booked at The Ritz in the Prado neighborhood, but I am also considering The Orfila, and The Unico in the Salamanca neighborhood, and The Urban, which seems to be fairly close to the Ritz..

Regarding the hotels, I booked the Ritz because it seems like an iconic classic hotel in a great location (and I also got a fairly good rate and get Amex FHR benefits (breakfast, airport transfer)). But it seems like it might be a bit stuffy, and more importantly to me, it might be a little worn down and catering to a much older crowd(?). Sometimes I like staying at classic hotels (I have thoroughly enjoyed The Ritz in Paris), but, in general, I prefer more modern, boutique places. The Orfila looks very nice, and is slightly better priced than The Ritz; and The Unico looks wonderful, but is a little pricier than The Ritz. The Urban looks cool to me too.

Regarding the difference in neighborhoods, what is the difference in these locations? I am not really a museum person (though I plan on going to a couple of the major museums), so the proximity to the Prado is negligible to me. But I do like being in a central, though not overly touristy locations. (For example, in New York I like The Plaza or The Pierre locations, but would not stay in or near Times Square. In Paris I like St. Germain, or Place Vendome, but I do not like the Champs Elysees). I love to walk, and being in a central neighborhood with upscale restaurants, bars, shopping and nightlife is preferred.

Thank you.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 12:10 AM

Hola

I didn't stay at the Urban Hotel but admired it from the street. Definitely uber cool! Have bookmarked it for return trip to Madrid. The location is excellent for sightseeing and it's safe.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 12:40 AM

Second the remarks about Urban. I go to Madrid quite frequently, but haven's stayed here. The location is excellent though, and my brother-in-law was head over heels happy after staying here a couple of years ago, and he settle for no less than the best ;-)
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 09:00 AM

One of the few downtown hotels with a pool, loved the great terraza-fabulous views, very cool glass bar.I would get a room not facing the street-super busy street.Great location-down to museums,up to Plaza Mayor,left to Plaza Santa Ana
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:07 PM

Can anyone update this review? I'm currently trying to choose a hotel in Madrid for 3 nights.
Looking at UNICO- but seeing it's a bit out of the way.
And:
Hotel Hospes Puerta Alcala
The PRincipal Madrid
Grand Melia Palacio de los Duques

Which one would be better located for a short stay in Madrid? Looking to see the Prado, Thyssen, and??? Maybe a short day trip to Toledo.
Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:05 PM

fish.

Salmanca is my favorite part of Madrid
....beautiful building, leafy streets, just north Retiro park,
,best shops, numerous restaurants , galleries, and NOT touristy.
The upscale Madrid !
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:06 PM

buildings
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:45 PM

Of the four you listed, the Principal would be my first choice for many reasons.