Search

Madrid & Toledo - First Two Weeks of July - Weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid & Toledo - First Two Weeks of July - Weather

Hi,

I know I have other two Madrid threads on Fodors, although for different reasons. My concern is this:

I always knew Summer was hot in Europe, but I bought my ticket for July 3rd - July 13th and now I can't help to think this date was a bad choice. I mean, I want to focus on the big picture (a trip to Madrid & Toledo), but the weather situation is kind of overshadowing my excitement. What should I expect during this date in Madrid & Toledo? I'm spending a couple of nights in Toledo first and the remaining days in Madrid.

In my experience, late June is adjusting time for the weather. in 2005, I was in Paris in late june and it was Hell, however, I went to Venice afterwards in early July and it was fine. The same happened in 2008 when I went to Southern Italy. Naples was Hell in late June, but Sicily was fine in early July. I am already kind of upset because the plane ticket would've cost me $ 400 less if I'd bought it to travel in early June, but I have always traveled in late June/early July.

I keep reading that the hot weather in July is overwhelming. What's your experience?

Thanks again for sharing,

Castellanese.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM

I've been in Madrid in August when it was 100F (38C). It was really wonderful at night. I usually hate hot weather, but I did not really mind the 100F as much as I thought I would, perhaps because it's not so humid.

I love both Madrid and Toledo. Not everyone agrees, but I really enjoyed spending the night in Toledo.

Have a plan where you enjoy a nice shady spot at midday, or take a siesta, and just enjoy the rest of your time there. Stay up late like the Spaniards do!

Make sure to stay in places with great air-conditioning.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 08:06 AM

It's normally warm in Madrid during the first half of July, but usually not intolerable. It can get very hot in late July throughout August. Toledo is about the same, but you'll be able to enjoy both during your dates. Neither gets as hot as Paris with it's high humidity.

The only problem you may encounter is that a number of restaurants will close from mid-July through August, but enough remain open so that you can enjoy a good meal. Check Maribel's Madrid Dining Guide for her recommendations and then check their web sites to see their summer schedules.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 08:23 AM

I was in Madrid and Toledo in August... I agree with WillTravel.

Don't let the worry about weather spoil your plans.
One night in Toledo would do it for me.
You can also make a day trip to Segovia from Madrid.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 08:29 AM

I was in Madrid and Toledo in July a few years ago and it was fine. Nice and warm but not horrible. In my experience places like Italy and Spain - you know it will be hot, lots of stuff is air conditioned and you just plan to siesta for a couple hours mid afternoon. Evenings and early mornings are fabulous. I think it's worse in Places like Paris or London where one year it can be 100 and the next summer 50. Don't worry about it.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM

I agree with the others that the weather is going to be what it is-hot but that shouldn't diminish your experience. I was in Seville in May (I was wrapping up a semester spent there) and it was beastly hot even then (100+ degree temperatures) but I still did and saw all that I wanted to. Good luck, it's such a beautiful country!

traveltalesfromtheredheadedtraveler.blogspot.com/
(My travel writing blog!)
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM

You don't mention where you live and what you are used to in the summer but it will be HOt! Get up early and get as much done before noon.Walk on the shady side of the street,wear ahat,take a siesta and drink plenty of water-it is a dry heat!
Same applies to Toledo and Segovia-get there early in the day before the heat gets to you and carry water with you at all times.The worst thing to do is drink wine ...............!
Madrid begins to empty during July-the locals escape the heat and go on vacation!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your replies.

I feel a bit more reassure. I mean, the reason why I wrote and asked about it is because I want to know what to expect. I've also read on a couple of websites that it's not as bad as it is said, but most websites claim it is Hell. June would've been a better option, but I already bought the ticket. The hotels I booked in both Toledo & Madrid have AC.

Chapla, I live in Venezuela. We don't have winter/spring kind of weather, but, at least where I live, it's never been as hot as what I experienced in Naples/Paris. Our "Summers" are humid, though. I've never been in dry, hot weather, so I don't know what they're like.

Is it hotter than Barcelona? I was in Barcelona in early July in 2009 and although it was hot, I thought it was OK. I know that Madrid and Barcelona have different altitude & latitude, but it was OK.

Thanks again,

Castellanese.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM

Summer in europe is not hot - except in comparison to winter. In southern areas it is hot - in northern areas it is temperate and even cool (for summer).

Madrid, being south - is in the hot category - as in hot to very hot. (I have been twice - one in late April and once in mid may and both times it was almost 100 degrees - so that is what I would expect.

but, for exact info you need to check the forecasts a day or two before you leave.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM

No, it's not hell! I have been in Madrid in all sorts of dates during the summer, June, July, August. In 2006 late July/ August was very pleasant, mid 80's. Last year it was close to a 100 every day. I remember one trip in early July the temps would go down in the evening and I even needed a sweater! But as others have said , you adjust. It didn't hamper my enthusiasm and enjoyment of my time there, I just took things more slow. Go to Retiro park and walk under the trees, it's lovely!
So, the moral of the story is , don't worry, you'll be fine!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everybody, for your opinion!