MAdrid and Andalucia hotel suggestions?

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

MAdrid and Andalucia hotel suggestions?

We are a couple about 60. My husband is retiring at the end of October and we are leaving for Spain on November 4th for a 2 week vacation- we're also celebrating our 33 rd anniversary. My husband speaks Spanish and we have been looking forward to visiting Spain for some time. In my readings about Madrid, I have become somewhat confused by the large number of choices avavilable, and would like some help chosing a place to stay.

We are looking for a hotel that iscentrally located near the sites and that is comforatble and friendly. We have have liked the smaller, boutique-type, locally run hotels when we have traveled elsewhere in France and Italy.
From my reading, I thought that it might be fun to be in the Plaza de Santa Ana area heading east towards the Prado, but I'm open to suggestions. What is also pretty important is that I am a light sleeper, and need a room that is quiet. When I read about hotels, there is often a comment that there is a lot of street noise, but this is November and I wonder if we will need open windows this late in the fall.. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

We are staying in Madrid 3 days and heading south to Andalucia- Seville, Arcos, Ronda, Grenada, and Malaga before heading back to Madrid for another 2 days. We will go to Seville by train, and after traveling around by car, return to Madrid by train from Malaga for the last couple of days. We hope to stayin Juderia in Seville, ElConvento or Cojilo Fain in Arcos, but are unsure of Ronda and Granada hotels. Should we stay at the Parador in Ronda or go for a smaller hotel? In Granada, the Parador is filled and Karen Brown recommends either America or the Alhambra Palace as alternatives. Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance, Margret
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 08:16 PM

Congratulations on your anniversary. We celebrated our 20th in Toledo (a very romantic day trip from Madrid--stayed at the Hostal Cardenal--felt like I was in another world). Also loved Seville--make sure to see the flamenco show at Los Gallos.

We weren't happy with our hotel in Madrid, so wouldn't recommend it, but for our next trip (also in Nov.) besides staying at time-shares for two weeks, I've booked hotels with Bancotel coupons through Petrabax.com. You can also book at the Paradors through them. Check it out. Also, check out the hotel rants and raves here as well as typing in the various places in the search box.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:40 AM

In Ronda, I'd stay at the Parador or for somethng very relaxing, try the Molina Del Santo about 5 miles outside of town. Driving is not a problem as there is good underground parking in Ronda. Do a search on Molina del Santo. It is truly special. Lovely gardens and grounds and very quiet.

Due to the location of the Alhambra on a high hill overlooking town, there are two schools of thought on where to stay in Granada. One school says stay up on the hill and travel into town. the other school says stay in town and travel up to the Alhambra. It not a big deal really; there is a shuttle bus between the two that takes about 10 minutes. I prefer staying in town so I have ready access to the streets, cafes, etc. Probably the best way to assure yourself of quiet in town is to stay at the Melia Granada. [the Melia chain is kind of the Marriott of Spain]. Its a great location in the middle of where you want to be, they park your car for you, and has most of the comfort and quiet you would expect in a Marriott.

A suggestion: At every hotel request a quiet room because of the popularity of motor bikes in Spain. they do get noisy.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:08 PM

Just a word on Hotel America in Granada: my wife thought it sounded quaint and charming - so we stayed there last fall. It was a real disappointment. The rooms were small, the beds uncomfortable and the amenities were lacking. The included breakfast was minimal. Its best feature was the food at lunch; it was excellent - if you're nearby at lunchtime, you might give it a try.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:57 AM
Maira

justretired--- Congratulations to both on achieving such wonderful milestones!! Spain is a wonderful destination. In Madrid, I would recommend Carlos V Hotel and Hotel Atlantico. Both are Best Western-- better standards than the US BW's, very centric, BUT have quite effective sound proofing measures. While you may walk to El Prado Museum from both, a taxi is not a bad idea in November. You will be closer to a number of attractions, including Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, Convento de las Descalzas, etc... Strongly recommend you look for Maribel's posted advice on Madrid, she is a superb source of great info on traveling and enjoying Spain. Have a great time!

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:52 AM

We were in Spain for our honeymoon in March earlier this year. We stayed at Hotel San Gabriel in Ronda, a gorgeous, charming 18th century mansion tuned into a 20-something room hotel. It is located in the old town. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. In Granada, we stayed at Casa Morisca,(in the Arab Quarter, just opposite the Alhambra Hill) again a small converted Moriscan house, tastefully decorated in Moorish style. In Seville, we stayed at Hotel Alcantara, which was in the Barrio Santa Cruz. It was simply furnished and decorated but in a great location.We have heard great things about Las Casas de Juderia and Casa 7 on this website - they sound like the type of places you might like to try.
Our hotel in Madrid was rather disappointing, and we wouldn't recommend it.
We found Hotel San Gabriel, Casa Morisca and Hotel Alcantara on a great website: www.innsofspain.com
Have a great time on your anniversary -we had a wonderful time and wish we could return soon.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your help. We sent off resevations over the weekend. I pretty much picked most of the places we are staying based on all my readings and lots of your help. My husband really liked the idea of a hostel in Madrid (so he can speak Spanish, I suspect), and he chose Hostel la Macarena because he has a colleague who really enjoyed her stay there. We are staying at the other following places: Casa de la Juderia (Seville), El Convento ( Arcos), the Paradors in Ronda and Malaga, and America in Granada.

Again, thanks. I'll be on the forum shortly looking for suggestions on where to eat and what to do- it's amazing that so many of you share your ideas so freely.

Margret