Search

Itinerary Ideas in France

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:31 AM
Mic
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Ideas in France

If you were to spend two weeks next summer in France, where would you go? We are a couple in our late 20's, no kids, love history, art, quaint villages and lively cities. We have been to Paris a number of times, but have seen very little of the countryside. Please share your favorites with us!

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:39 AM

The Karen Brown guides have great ideas for itineraries (www.karenbrown.com/).

I've done a "loop" from Paris up to Honfleur, then headed west to Mont St-Michel, down through Dinan and Bayeaux and across the Loire Valley, which was a great trip.

In October, I'm planning to TGV from Paris to Avignon and pick up a car for about 6 days in Provence, continuing north to the Burgundy region for a few more days bfore taking the TGV from Dijon back to Paris.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:07 PM
rex

I think that a two-week loop from Dijon to Nice and back could be constructed a half-dozen times, and never use the same town twice in any of them (staying 4 or 5 places in each loop).

I would allocate one week to points north of Aix-en-Provence, and then one week to points east (but south and west of Aix is not to be dismissed either).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:50 AM

You can see a lot in two weeks. Get the Green Guides for the areas you want to visit, or perhaps just the Green Guide for France, and start choosing what sounds interesting. Burgundy, Provence with a touch of the Alps (Annecy) and Lyon in between might be just the ticket.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:51 AM

Whatever you do, I would remember the heat wave this past summer, and plan accordingly. The further south you go, the warmer. (although it was quite warm in Paris too).
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 01:51 PM
Mic
Original Poster

Thanks, Wren. You don't have to remind me about the heat wave...I don't think I'll ever forget it! I was in Spain for two weeks in August!!!