Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Lyon, driving... need some help with a possible itinerary.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone
When we were looking at our European map last night, we started considering the idea of hiring a car in Paris and driving for a week or so through France, possibly finishing in Lyon and then getting a train from there into Switzerland. We have never driven in Europe before, but we think with the aid of a GPS we will be ok. We were wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding this idea... where are some nice spots to stay or stop between Paris and Lyon? Would we have time to go further south? Would it be worth driving all the way down to Provence and then going into Italy from there? So many options, any thoughts?? Thanks, Cathy
PS We will be there early September, if that makes any difference!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Bumping... Just in case no one saw this
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:21 AM

Since you'll be travelling in September why not stop in a wine town like Beaune? I don't know if the harvests will be over (they can start end of August) but it is always interesting to see the workers picking grapes.
If you are more interested in architecture and history (and gastronomy) Dijon is for you! Right in the middle of the way between Paris and Lyon and a lot to see!
http://www.cotedor-tourisme.com/index.php?lg=en
http://www.dijon-tourism.com/uk/

Happy travels!
coco
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:44 AM

Train as far as Avignon to get the car and then explore Provence and the Cote d' Azur before ending in Lyon. It is easy to drive in France, just not Paris.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:27 AM

It really depends on how much time you have. But generally, I would give the same advice as Bobthenavigator, take the train to Avignon and rent a car from there. I would vote for Provence over te Cote d'Azur, because I prefer the history and food in Provence, as ell as the Roman ruins, over the Cote d'Azur.

And it is easy to drive in France. We've done it throughout France, including quite-rural areas, and never had a problem. We were even traveling with old-fashioned maps, not a GPS!