Search

Lyon on Bastille day

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyon on Bastille day

Hi,
We're staying for one full day in Lyon (two nights) on the 13th/14th of July. It'll be Bastille day on the 14th. Our hotel is right near Place Belacour so I think we can walk most places.
Any suggestions about how to make the most of our day, and from where to watch the fireworks at the end?
Will most things be closed for the holiday?
Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2013, 08:50 AM

What do you mean by most things? I would presume most museums and stores will be closed, yes, and of course businesses like banks. I'm sure restaurants will be open, at least enough.

YOu do know this is a national holiday where they have military displays? They will have a military "parade" or défilé militaire, which is on cours Franklin Roosevelt. I think it is usually in the evening of the 13th in Lyon, not the 14th morning (ie around 6 pm), but your hotel should be able to give you all the details of the various events. There is a troops revue before the parade.

They also have "bals" or dances on both 13th and 14th. The big one has brass bands and accordions, on the left bank of the Saone around 8 pm on the 14th, near the metro stop there (which is also where the bridge comes across from place Bellecour). The fireworks are from Fourviere hill.
Old May 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM

July 14 is on a Sunday anyway.