Lyon-Hotel Recommendations

May 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Lyon-Hotel Recommendations

Thought I'd ask you knowledgable people about which hotel to stay at in Lyon. I would prefer to stay near Place Bellecour. I definitely want airconditioning,an elevator etc.
Many thanks
May 6th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions please!! Many thanks,am i better off in a single or a double room?
thanks
May 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM

This past Nov we stayed at La Residence , on Ave Foch , which runs between Pl BEllecour and the Perrache station. The location could not be more convenient. We could walk across the bridge to Vieux Lyon and St Jean and also right to the funicular to Notre dame. Place Bellecour was 1 city block away.

We had a very nice double room facing the Ave. It was quiet at night as the street is mainly pedestrianized. The breakfast was plentiful at the hotel or the is a sm cafe across the street. The staff was most helpful and there is free internet in the loby.

I think I may have posted some pics. on TA>
May 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I second the recommendation for La Residence. It has an unbeatable location. It is clean and comfortable with a friendly and helpful staff.

I'd also like to recommend the Resistance Museum. It is the only museum where I ran down the batteries in the handheld guide.
May 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Can also vouch for Hotel la Résidence in terms of location, quality of accommodation and value for money.
However, I think that Jody's got her streets mixed up as the hotel is on Rue Victor Hugo, which is the pedestrian street leading from Place Bellecour to Perrache station. Avenue Foch is on the other side of the River Rhône, in the 3rd and 6th arrondissements.
May 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM

Agree with Hotel La Residence on rue Victor Hugo. It is very reasonably priced, has central airconditioning and is very clean and fabulously located a straight shot from Perrache.
May 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Yup, that's where I stayed, too, on a recommendation from Fodorites. Loved the area and the hotel.
May 6th, 2007, 12:53 PM

I do have my streets mixed up! We stayed first in Lyon on V.Hugo then in Auxerre on Ave Foch at Parc des Marechaux! I can heartily recommend that one too if you visit Auxerre.
May 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Wow! I'm going to book it,hopefully I will get a reservation. Is a single room good enough?

It seems that Lyon ois known for silk-where would you go to buy it? Which store?
Thanks again
May 8th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

is a single room good enough? best place to buy silk?
Thanks
May 8th, 2007, 06:58 AM

I've also seen Hotel des Artistes recommended here...

http://www.hoteldesartistes.fr/

I walked by this one, great location and views...

http://www.villaflorentine.com/
May 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Perhaps, they don't have real single rooms only for 1 person. I stayed once (admittedly long time ago, maybe 6 years) alone for about €70. The room was not tiny and the bed was large enough for 2 + descent sized bathroom with tub. It also had WC in a seperate booth that I found peculiar but would be practical if you were not alone.
May 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Hello,
I'm really not sure of the best place to buy silk in Lyon. I doubt you'll find any bargains, as I don't think much silk is even produced in the city these days, at least not in relative terms.

However, a visit to the silk weaver's museum (la Maison des Canuts) might yield some results, as they do have a shop.

http://www.maisondescanuts.com/english/index.html