italy train eurail vs. trenitalia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eurail (raileurope.com) has an italy saverpass for 3 days travel in two months, second class, $163 pp that I am considering buying for travel from venice to florence and from rome back to venice. Does anyone know if this is better or the same as trenitalia? The trenitalia 'site is so confusing it's hard to tell. thanks.
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:36 AM
J62

Standard ticket costs are:

Venice - Florence 30 Euro
Rome - Venice 51 Euro

Cheaper than a pass.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

is that by trenitalia or eurail and is it as fast as other options? If you have more details about the standard tickets please let me know. thanks.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:49 AM
J62

Those prices are straight from the trenitalia website

www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

I selected a Venice-Florence for about 1mo from now, clicked on the shopping cart for a train of interest, then selected standard fare.

Since you heading straight to the train station from the airport in Venice, and therefore you don't know exactly when you'll arrive, I would simply buy the tickets at Venice train station upon arrival.

There are ticket machines that accept credit cards with instructions in English. All you need to do before you get there is print out a schedule of trains from Venice to Florence so you can hop on the next one leaving Venice after you get there. The ES trains are fastest
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM
J62

Eurail is simply a ticket/pass marketing company - they don't run trains. There is one set of rail lines in Italy (as elsewhere). All trains are run by the Italian state railway - Trenitalia. It's not like air travel where you have a choice of carrier. You go to the train station, buy a ticket, and get on the train. QED.

(there are some exceptions like the Pompeii area train).

Old May 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much. we would have wasted money on a saverpass. It's so confusing since we've never been there.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:12 AM

No pass for you - too expensive vs regular tickets. Plus with a pass you must pay 15 euros supplement to ride the ES trains that you will want to ride between these three points. That would add 45 euros or about $60 onto the pass price all told.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Point to point tickets almost always are the best buy. In my experience, passes are only a bargain when extensive train travel is contemplated. I'm not sure if eurail and Eurorail are one in the same, but if so prices are notoriously expensive and unnecessary.