Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lyon for two days - should I take a day trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm taking my first trip to France in March to visit my niece in Grenoble. Afterward, I'll be in Lyon for two days, prior to leaving for Nice. Does anyone have a recommendation for a day trip around the Lyon region? I'll be travelling by train. Also, would love restaurant and hotel recommendations for Lyon! Thanks.

Hope
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:21 PM

With only two days in Lyon, you may have enough to do there without going out of town; however, if you want see the area, I'd recommend a trip (I believe it can be done by bus) to Perouges, a medieval fortified town. I believe it's about 20 mi. north of Lyon. Probably only a half-day trip, but certainly worthwhile.

I recommend La Voute (known familiarly as Chez Lea)for good, homey cooking typical of the region.

We'd need to know your price range before recommending a hotel.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:27 PM

I've spent a total of 6 days in Lyon the last couple of years and never needed a day trip. In fact I want to go back to see more. With only two days you can easily spend them in Lyon.

I've stayed at Hotel Dubost next to the Perrache train station and liked it.
Hotel Residence gets a lot of good press here.

www.hotel-la-residence.com

The Roman ruins and basilica on Fourviere hill are very nice. The art museum is excellent as are the museums of decorative arts and cloth.

If you're there on a Sunday morning the market in Place Carnot in front of Perrache train station is nice. I believe the first Sunday of the month is when it has the puppy/kitten market too. Dang cute to see the critters.

There are nice restaurants along r. Marrionners. I really liked Restaurant Marronnier on r. Marronnier. The Chabert & Fils restaurants along the same street are very nice too.

Here's a link to my trip report from last May.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34498288
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:02 AM

Two days is easy to fill in Lyon. I am a fast traveler, and I had three days there my first trip, and it was perfect.

As for restaurants and hotels, what is your budget? As you probably know, the food is fantastic, form bouchons to great michelin 2 and 3 star restaurants.

There is a great hotel called La Cour Des Loges (www.courdesloges.com) in the old section that is one of my favorites anywhere; they are having a special for Americans: pay the Euro rate in Dollars, so you save about 25-30%. I suspect you will be in the low $200's here.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:53 AM

I too would have more than enough to do for a couple days by staying in Lyon. There is also a wonderful neighborhood market right by the Lumiere Museum and villa. If you're interested in the history of motion pictures, that's a fascinating place to visit and it is also very English friendly.

But if you feel the urge to wander, you can take a fairly quick train trip to Grenoble, for a little telepherique ride up into the glorius Alps views.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:36 AM

I agree you can easily spend that time in Lyon, but some people want change quickly, I guess. I think Perouges is a good idea, but I don't think you can get there by train, although probably a bus. It's not that far, you could even pay a taxi, I'm sure. Otherwise, you could easily go to Avignon for a day trip from Lyon, or Orange. I think Patrick overlooked the fact that you would be coming from Grenoble.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I like granbdmere's suggestion of Peruges. It's unlike anything in that area and this mediieval fortified village is enchanting.We have stayed overnight several times but we had a rented car. Write to the Lyon tourist office to see if they have excursions to there.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:58 AM

Duh. Bifocals now in place. Sorry.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 09:10 AM

Easy day trips from Lyon:

- Annecy (by train, approx. 1 and a half hours) - more than enough to keep you busy for a day
- Pérouges - as mentioned by others - accessible by bus but you have to walk up a steep hill to reach the actual village. In my opinion, although it's a lovely little town, it's not really enough for a full day.
- Beaujolais region with wine-tasting (can book coach tours via the tourist office in Lyon)
- boat-trip down the river Rhône to Vienne (pleasant town with well preserved Roman ruins) and back with the Navig-Inter company

I agree with other posters that there is more than enough to keep you busy in Lyon for two days, however.

As regards restaurants and hotels, I've made a few recommendations on this site before. Here are some old threads to give you a few ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34531886

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34525197

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34500440

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34494814
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:00 AM

I know I recommended you stay in Lyon, but if you day trip you could consider Le Puy-en-Velay. At bit far for a daytrip at 2.5 hours one-way on the train, it is an incredible destination.

The picturesque town with the church almost hanging in mid-air 85 meters up on a steep volcanic spire is a must-see. Notre Dame in a shade of raspberry looks down upon the town from another spire.

http://www.ihpva.org/chapters/france...puy/le-puy.htm
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM

Yes, yes, yes to Le Puy-en-Velay. Back in Lyon, go to the tourist office and get the list of the "murs peints." These are huge trompe l'oeil paintings on building walls. The most famous are in the central city within easy walking. Eat at a "bouchon."