Search

Lyon and ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyon and ?

Hi everyone,

My daughter and I will be in Lyon for 3 days in June of next year. We will be coming in from Amsterdam by train. We have been to Paris previously. From Lyon we will be going to Nice for 3 days. I am seeing that Lyon doesn't seem to have all that much to see. Not into history or churches all that much. Can anyone recommend a day trip from Lyon that would be fun? Would the Alps or Annecy be a good idea? We were thinking of moving on to see Aix-en Provence which would be on our way by train to Nice. We are actually thinking of investing in a property in France for vacations eventually so we are trying to look at different regions as much as we can. We like at least two seasons and suburbs and pretty small towns with good restaurants. Would appreciate a recommendation on where to go. Thanks!
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 08:06 AM

What do you typically want to see in other places, that Lyon doesn't have? I admit a lot of people only think of museums and churches, and I like them but do other things. But what do you want, that Lyon doesn't have?

I'm just wondering because other than those two specific things, it seems they'd have the same things as most places -- some attractive areas and squares to walk around, they have an interesting sculpture/fountain on the Hotel de VIlle square by Bartholdi, and Old Town with cutesy shops, good restaurants, a river, a hill, they have one of the best textile museums in the world (that's just an interest of mine, I know not for most people, I have a degree in it), as they were the center of the silk trade, but that includes a museum on silkmaking. But I guess all of that is "history." They do have museums relating to culture, filmmaking, printing, and thigns other than art. But by definition, I think a museum is about history.

So what do you want? Maybe someone could say if they had an idea of what you were looking for.

You have looking at Lyon's website, which is very comprehensive? http://www.en.lyon-france.com/Things...History-memory
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 09:17 AM

Christina has some very good suggestions for me as I'm a slow traveler by nature so would want three days in Lyon. But if you think you won't be occupied, Annecy is very pretty if you have a clear, sunny day.
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We occupied ourselves for a week in Lyon, but we did go to museums. Good shopping - it is france after all. There are some great murals throughout the city that are worth finding and enjoying. We also did a self guided tour through the city. You can read the specifics in our TR, but it was about the history so you may not like that. Can't beat the food in Lyon. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-from-lyon.cfm.

Not sure how far you want to go for a day trip, but you can reach Dijon easily by train.
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We mostly want to see pretty small towns with lots of restaurants and good shopping. We are looking as I mentioned for a future investment. We spent most of our lives in the suburbs of New York. however we now have lived the past couple of years in Orlando, Florida and hate it. To much crime, congestion, terrible food and no trees. We don't want to make the mistake again of living in a big city that is good for some, but not for me as I am 60 now and looking for a slower more peaceful life. Annecy looks like a good suggestion. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Went to the lyon website Christina suggested. The silk tour looks very interesting. Thank you!
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a quick 30 min train ride to Villafranche Sur Saoine

http://www.villefranche-beaujolais.f...er-go-out.html
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 01:07 AM

Seems to me as if you want to combine two things which do not go together well. On one hand you are looking for a daytrip from Lyon by train which limits your destinations to a few cities and towns (I would consider Beaune - a very beautiful city in the heart of Bourgogne).

On the other hand you want to explore regions in order to find places where to look for vacation property. This would require driving around in a car for several days.

For a vacation home, I would check these regions:

- If the Alps appeal to you and you want go there not only for skiing consider Guillestre - a charming town in a valley with almost perfect climate (the rain clouds are blocked by the mountains), beautiful landscape, river rafting etc.

- If wine and food is a main consideration check out Bourgogne. Bourgogne has two major cities - Dijon and Beaune - and many little wine villages in between and around. Climatewise, Bourgogne is a little cooler than Southern France but does not have the nasty Mistral (a very cold wind blowing from October to April into Provence).

- Côte du Rhone has some nice places, especially along the rivers Ardeche, Cèze and Gard. There are many villages (with cheap property) and small towns with their colourful markets. Uzes is a major town in the area, very charming.

- Provence is also very attractive, however with hot summers and cool winters and, as said, the awful Mistral.

When acquiring a house in Southern France be aware that often insulation is poor and heating is insufficient, so it is not so comfortable in winter.