Search

Lunch time in Rome - recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch time in Rome - recommendations

Hi there

Most people recommend good places for dinner in Rome but I am heading out there for my wedding and need to find somewhere fun but informal for my pre-wedding lunch the day before the big day. I don't want JUST a pizzeria but I want somewhere that the locals frequent (as well as some tourists who are in the know!).

Any suggestions please?
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! I cannot think of a more romantic place to get married. I adore Rome. Here are a few of my favorite places to eat that were recommended by the concierge at our hotel. They are very "Roman" and you will see mostly local residents eating at both of these places.

"Perilli al Testaccio," 39 via Marmorata, and "Luna Piena," 15 via Luca della Robbia

Perilli, in my opinion, has the best pasta carbonara in the city.

The two restaurants above are in the Testaccio section of Rome. My husband and I found Testaccio to have the best food in Rome, although it was all good. In Testaccio, you will find a lot of locals. These two places are very relaxed and casual and the food is divine. I can't say which one I like best because they are both divine. You cannot go wrong with either.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM

When is your wedding? There is a great place in Trastevere, a very happening part of Rome, on the Piazza S. Maria in Trastevere, called Galeassi. It has nice outdoor seating. Here is the link:

http://www.ristorantegaleassi.it

If you are willing to travel a little further out of Rome, there is a restaurant near the Catacombs called Cecilia Metella, which has a fabulous garden. Here is the link:
http://www.ceciliametella.it/
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM

'Gusto on Piazza Augusto
Here's an article about it:
http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article...umentid=345264
We have eaten there for lunch many times. Very few tourists know about it,but it's fun and unique. It's really "today's Italy".
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM

I know an excellent place-and have recommended it here before-LA SCALINATA. (I just happen to have their business card on the table near me). It is located between the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain on Via S. Andrea delle Fratte 32, Tel. # 06-69-94-20-67.

They specialize in Roman cuisine here-the freshest fish, spaghetti con cacio e pepe, etc., and their antipasti was just delicious. It's VERY popular, and usually packed for lunch and dinner. Easier for lunch. Each day, they put their long list of house-made specials out on a blackboard. A great mix of locals and tourists in the know. When I'm in Rome, I generally eat here more than once. Reasonably priced as well. You will love the food here.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM

bookmarking
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM

bookmarking - thanks for the info!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:07 AM

bkm
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:14 PM

This is the kind of question that will get you thousands of answers!

I'll add my two cents after a trip to Rome in January. In the Trastevere is a place called Antica Trattoria da Carlone on Via della Luce. Their Saltimbocca is killer as is everything else. Very cosy atmosphere but nice and definitely a "locals" kind of place. We met some people who live in Sweden while we were at Ostia Antica and recommended the restaurant to them. They actually emailed me after they returned to tell me they went there 3 times! Personally, we ate there two nights and would have gone more if we hadn't left town. Prices are good and the people are SO nice!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM

NB
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:33 AM

Hi Wonder Woman - we are also getting married in Rome on July 4 so these suggestions also come in handy for us!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your extremely helpful comments.

The spanner in the works is that the day in question for this lunch happens to be a public holiday (25 April). Do you know if restaurants close on public holidays?

Ness, if you need any help re your wedding, I would be delighted to help.

WW
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM

April 25 would not be a holiday that most restaurants would close for, unless it happened to fall on the day that the restaurant regularly closes, like a Sunday, or a Monday.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:05 AM

bookmarking-congratulations to both Wonder Woman and Ness on the upcoming big days. I love Rome and am hoping that the weather cooperates for you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM

Congratulations and thanks for the tips!