Search

Luggage on the Vaporetto

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage on the Vaporetto

Hello all:

Just trying to figure out the best way to get to my hotel in Venice from the Rail station. I know the vaporetto is probably the cheapest, but do they allow luggage to be carried on? And if so, is there a limit?
Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:09 AM

There was a post on this yesterday - and the asnwer was "yes" they allow luggage - as to limit - if you can carry it I think you will be able totake it on
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I heard somewhere you're supposed to pay the same for a piece of luggage as for a dog, but no one does and they don't enforce it.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Our experience was that when we got out of the rail station and walked down towards the vaporetto and the ticket counter, they charged for our luggage. Cannot remember what they charged, it was less than the price for a person (maybe 3 Euros compared to 5 Euros for a person) but I do remember it kind of irked me.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How many and how large of luggage are we talking about? They allow suitcases but you're on your own for handling it, and there in theory is an extra charge.

I would not recommend it with more than a single small to medium suitcase. They are boats. They often are crowded standing room only. Boat rocks and the boarding platform rocks. It's a bit tricky.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:44 AM

There is an extra charge for luggage, but it seems to be routinely ignored. I was there in March with a large rolling duffel and a smaller wheeled backpack. When I bought my ticket at Piazzale Roma I made a point of mentioning that I had some fairly large pieces of luggage and got what I think must have been Italian for "don't worry about it."

I agree that it can be a bit tricky getting on/off with luggage, but only a bit - so if you can get around OK with the luggage otherwise I wouldn't be concerned.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:46 AM

We didn't find it any big deal to get on and off a vaporetto with luggage. If it's crowded then you'll have a flurry of activity for a few seconds to get situated--but it's not a life altering experience.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:49 AM

We got on with hiking-size backpacks (not daypacks). We were told by the attendant to take them off of our backs and hold them or put them at our feet. It was crowded, standing room only, so we would have done this anyway to avoid hitting people. We weren't charged.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM

I had a vaporetto pass, which includes one piece of luggage I think, so I didn't pay any extra. I found it very easy to get on and off the vaporetto, and I had a 22" rolling suitcase, a good-sized carryon sitting on top of the 22" one, and my purse. I had actually wondered ahead of time if it would be difficult and was surprised at how easy it was.
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Lst year, we boarded at Piazzale Roma, after dropping off a car. At the ticket window, the attnedant asked if we had luggage & asked to see it. We each had a rolling suitcase with a small carryon on top. She said we had to buy two tickets each to cover ourselves and luggage. We paid 3.50 Euro for each ticket - no big deal - 14 Euro total for the 40 min ride to S. Zaccharia which is near San Marco. We took Vap #82 thru the lagoon - it wasn't crowded so we were able to sit on the end of the rows and keep our luggage next to us.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Neopolitan

We've done our luggage coming and going several times. We've always purchased a 72 hours pass before boarding. Once we were even checked for tickets by an inspector and although we each had a large suitcase plus a good sized carryon which we were standing over, the guy didn't say anything about an extra ticket for the luggage. I never thought it was a problem at all getting it on and off the vaparetoo. It may depend on which landing, but mostly they roll right off the boat onto the landing.