Search

Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage

Hello--I am going to Spain for 2.5 weeks in late August. This is the longest trip I have taken anywhere so forgive e if my questions sounds silly. I will be staying on average 2 nights in each city so I do not want to carry more than 2 pieces of luggage. How do I separate dirty/worn clothing from the clean clothing in my luggage? If I keep it in the same luggage piece the dirty clothing will stink up the clean clothing. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:13 PM

First time poster ;-)
Plasic bag...
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

simple enough, lol. Thanks, Logos!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Fabric softener sheets are your friend, too. I put partial sheets (whole ones are too strong for me) in large baggies with the clean clothes.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Che Guevara? Oh, boy...
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:16 AM

You could also try the revolutionary move of actually washing some of your clothes. They do have laundrettes in Spain. This could also mean that you could take considerably fewer clothes, and perhaps take only one piece of luggage. Don't forget to take a change of berets!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:43 AM

yeah, I use plastic bags, although I do try to keep smaller items washed. I do not worry about worn pants, though, things like that, but I don't do things to get clothes like that especially dirty. For smaller items, I keep the outer zip pocket on my luggage free when I pack, and then put the dirty stuff in a plastic bag in that pocket, to keep it really away from the other clothes.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM

..durties in baggies and large dirties in a pouch in my suitcase. I had wash undies, Tee shirts and light cotton trousers in the sink (fine if staying at a hotel for 2 nights. I wrap up things I rinced and wrung out and fold them in a towel and step on the towel to get them as dry as possible. I travelled to europe as a student for 4 months with 1 suitcase and went to the launromat only once and sent a jacket to the dry cleaner once so on a short trip no need for a laundromat.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious... plan to do (or have done) your laundry 1/2 way thru the trip.

Put worn stuff in the zipper pouch on the outside of the suitcase (tops, underwear) or a large plastic bag. Pants I simply continue to wear the entire trip, since I don't exactly get "dirty" doing tourist activities in a city situation.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You definitely don't need 2 pieces of luggage. One suitcase is plenty. Pack as if for a 1 week trip and do laundry mid-way. Especially for Spain in August (it's gonna be hot) you don't need lots of heavy clothes.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Pack as lightly as possible.

Take almost worn out clothing items. (Who cares if you look a little thread bare and shop worn. Other than your companions, you'll never see any of the folks you encounter along the way again, anyway.)

Wash once, then throw away dirty items after second wear. (Hey... it's only stuff.) Return wearing only the clothes on your back.

Leaves lots of room to pack trip trophies and gifts for friends at home.

Enjoy...
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Hah, hah, hah. I remember suggesting to Mrs. Fly that we do laundry half way through a vacation. Hah, hah, hah. That idea lasted about a nanosecond. We do the old clothing for a few items and plastic bags for most.

Same with renting an apartment so we could make our own breakfast or save some money on lunch or dinner. Hah, hah, hah. Half a nanosecond for that idea.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I originally thought this post was a troll, but certainly the tone of the replies indicate that it is not. So, here goes: Over the past decade I have travelled from Australia every couple of years to holiday in Europe for eight weeks at a time. My luggage consists of one wheeled case measuring 21"x14"x9", and a small daypack. Into these I can fit ALL the clothing I will need for the 8 weeks, based on the assumption that I will launder clothes as necessary. Smalls can be done in the hotel room, but regular visits to a self-serve laundrette are required. Such washing can normally be combined with some other activity: In Salamanca, for example, the laundrette has free internet access via any one of six computers. I cannot imagine the circumstances under which I would tote large amounts of dirty laundry around Europe. I'd wash them at home, so I'll also wash them there. It seems that most of the above posters are from the US: please hold up a sign advising me to stay upwind!