Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Bus Munich Airport to downtown Munich

Apr 11th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Yesterday in another thread, someone posted to the effect that the Lufthansa Bus between the Munich Airport and downtown Munich was no longer in service.

Let me emphasize that this information is NOT at all true. The bus runs every day.

I wrote to the company that operates the bus and here is the full text of its spokesperson's response.

Hallo Herr Brown,

danke für Ihre Anfrage. Die Information, die Sie bekommen haben, stimmt Nicht: Der Flughafenlinienbus fährt wie bisher im 20-Minuten-Takt - den ganzen Tag, die ganze Woche, das ganze Jahr ....

What this says is that the information about the bus being out of service is not true. The airport bus run as before at 20 minute intervals the whole day, the whole week, and the whole year.

I hope this clears up any doubts people might have as a result of a posting that is not correct.

I still find this bus service from the airport to the Nordfriedhof stop in north Schwabing and to the main train station to be the best way into the city. I have used it many times. After one attempt at using the S-Bahn, I decided I would use the bus for future trips. The bus is more comfortable and luggage is well safeguarded in a locked compartment under the bus.

If the destination is the Nordfriedhof stop, the driver can radio ahead for a taxi or, alternatively, the stop is right by a U-Bahn station that heads for stops at Münchener Freiheit, Gieselastrasse and downtown.

At the main train station, there are taxis galore.
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM
hsv

I second this information.

Used the bus just last Sunday night. Had the driver radio for a taxi to pick me up at Nordfriedhof, too. Slight increase in prices in effect since March, though. EUR 10.00 is still reasonable for the most efficient and comfortable way into town.
Apr 11th, 2006, 10:40 AM

I think part of the confusion might be because the so-called "Lufthansa" bus in not actually run by Lufthansa, but by an independent company, Autobus Oberbayern GmbH.

The brochure pictures show a bus with Lufthansa markings, but Autobus Oberbayern has other buses with their own markings.
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I think that whether the bus or MVV is better depends on a lot of factors, such as how many people there are in the group, where you are staying, which direction you are going, how much luggage you have, and to some extent time of day, as well as your definition of better.

For anyone staying near the Munich North stop, I think the bus is the only practical way to or from the airport.

For one or two people staying near the Hauptbahnhof, taking the bus to the airport, particularly with a lot of luggage, makes sense.

For someone coming into Munich from the airport and planning to use the MVV the rest of the day, €17 covers the entire cost, versus €28,50 plus taxi fare with the bus.

For someone staying near the S-bahn trunkline (Laim to Leuchtenbergring) but not near the Hauptbahnhof, just jumping on the S1 or S8 would be faster, far more convenient, and much less expensive than taking a taxi to the bus to the airport.

Several years ago, my wife and I went to the airport via the S-bahn. We were staying near an S-bahn line but not on the S8. We made the connection in Leuchtenbergring; the trip took us less than an hour and cost (today) €17. From our location, taking the bus would have meant either a 25 min taxi trip or a 38 min S/U-bahn connection to the north bus stop, and the total trip would have been more than an hour. By taxi and bus, the total fare would have been around €60. By train and bus, the total fare would have been just over €30. We both had maximum regulation sized carryon bags; luggage was never a problem.
Apr 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Actually, it was made very clear in that original thread that the bus is still running.
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM

In the original thread, one person said that based on his experience in December, the bus was not running. A second person said, without ANY supporting evidence, that it is still running.

Someone might be mistaken, but, for sure, it was never made clear either way.