Fancy dinner in Paris w/ 9 yr. old

Apr 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Fancy dinner in Paris w/ 9 yr. old

We will be in Paris in June to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and would like to go out to a "fancy" restaurant for dinner one night. We'll have our 9 year old son with us. He's well behaved and reasonable about trying different foods -- brie cheese, shrimp and artichokes are some of his favorites. If we went to Bofinger or Le Train Bleu (both near where we're staying) would they frown on a young boy? Or would he be welcome? If those restaurants are a bad idea with a 9 year old, any other suggestions?
Apr 10th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Both would be ok, I saw a few young ones at both.
Happy Anniversary!
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM

This reminds of something my BF came across in reading some Paris restaurant descriptions in a guidebook (could have been Zagat's, but I'm not sure anymore). It said "dogs accepted, call first regarding children"!
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Is your son up to sitting through a 3+ hour, 4-5 course meal? That's the big question. If he can handle that, no problem.
Apr 10th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Emvic, I think Train Bleu would be a perfect place for you; I've seen families there with well-behaved children, and everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time.

Have fun!
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM

I don't think you are going to eat a five hour meal in either; they are brasseries, not grand cuisine, and both are the type of place where I have seen French families celebrating holidays and occasions. Go for either!
Apr 10th, 2006, 09:51 PM
jgg

We were just at Bofinger about two weeks ago with 7 adults and 4 kids (age 5,6,10 and 13). It is definitely a fine place to go with kids. They even had a children's menu - the first I've seen in Europe. It is a very large, noisy brasserie, and frankly wouldn't recommend it as your "fancy" restaurant for your anniversary dinner.

Try L'epi Dupin on Rue Dupin. We took the 11 of us there as well, which was quite a feat as it is a tiny restaurant. The food was excellent, and they were very nice to the kids.

No meal needs to take 3-4 hours unless you want it to.
Apr 10th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Yeah, I was just going to add there is a children's menu at Bofinger and we went there a few years ago with three kids of varying ages and they really enjoyed the place, and I loved the decor. Thought I had time traveled back into the movie Gigi.
Apr 11th, 2006, 02:54 AM

Le Train Bleu also has a children's menu.

Children no problem at either establishment.
Apr 11th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Not 5-hour, 5-course.
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM

There is absolutely no problem taking children to fancy restaurants in France. It is automatically assumed that they will be well-behaved, and often the atmosphere of such places will awe them into silence anyway.
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:21 PM

with favorable weather, i doubt anywhere could impress a 9 yr old more than sitting at a table at the window of Tour Montparnasse restaurant Le ciel for, if not dinner, dessert while you all watch the Eiffel tower twinkle on the hour.

SOOOOO memorable. I have been to paris many times, but was recently with my brother, his wife and my husband, and we REALLY enjoyed the view and being up so high .

didn't want to leave.

i wouldn't miss it.