Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moulin Rouge in Paris. Is it appropriate for a 14 year old girl?

Oct 22nd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

We are taking my niece to Europe and will be in Paris for 5 days. She is a dancer, but not interested in ballet. While the Moulin Rouge is very touristy I thought she may enjoy it for the "show". Now in looking at the website I noticed that the current show has a lot of topless dancers somewhat Las Vegas style. Are all the shows like this or just the current show? Any comments on whether my niece would enjoy it?
Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM

I suspect her parents would be more shocked than she'll be.

It's not as if the dancers are within inches of the punters - sorry audience
Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:15 AM

I just went to the show and I do think your niece would enjoy it. There are toples women but they are dancing and they are tiny and not vulgar. There is not one vulgar move to the whole show. There are also magicians, boy dancers and mimes. It is a cute show, lively and professional. If she wouldn't be shocked at some bouncing A cup b**bies I say take her and enjoy. I don't know if there is an age requirement.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM

There's a major difference between the big busted gals that Americans like to show off, and the dancers in Paris. She might not even notice those under-endowed ladies are topless if she's more that three rows back.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:24 AM

Someone else had this same question regarding a 12 yr old several months ago. Here's the discussion:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34821929
Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:28 AM

Oops, wrong link. This is the correct one:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34764730

The first one is a link I had saved.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:39 AM

The only thing shocking about Moulin Rouge is the cover charge. I have been twice and there were children present. The reservations page http://tinyurl.com/wz5mj on their website says "no children under six", so your 14 year old niece is old enough. I think she will enjoy it.

You probably should have said 'Las Vegas has a lot of topless dancers Moulin Rouge style.' They were doing shows when Vegas was just a blip in the desert.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM

Not wanting the task of getting to the hotel after the midnight show we booked a night tour with Paris Vision which included an illiminary bus tour of Paris and then the show w/o the dinner. It was cheaper than buying the tickets ourselves, 94 euro. We met at the office on Rue de Rivioli and after the show they dropped us at our hotels. They ushered us into the show and up to our seats, gave us a bottle of champagne and we met the guide outside after the show. No muss and no fuss. I would recommend this way.

Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I will have to think about this a bit. Any other dance shows in Paris?
Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:09 AM

The office of Paris Vision told us the Moulan Rouge show was the most tasteful.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM

Agreed that the standard Las Vegas shows are all take-offs of the Moulinr rouge type shows - which have been going on since WWI I believe.

And no - the others will be more bare - if anything. Moulin Rouge is the "granddaddy" and most conservative. If you go to Crazy Horse - or some of the other less well-known there will be more barness - up to simulated or even real nudity.

I'm not aware of any other dance choices unless you go for ballet. (Although there may be some modern dance things going on - but don;t know if that's what you're looking for either.)
Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM

There are toples women but they are dancing and they are tiny

Like an A cup?
Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut: We are going in April after Easter. I may just check the local paper when we arrive to look for something. Thanks to everyone.
Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:52 AM

Yep, an A cup! Bouncing A cups. Well, maybe one or two B's......
Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM

In fact their breasts are often so small, I recall reading a very funny post once elsewhere about someone watching the show and being surprised that they used female impersonators for the show girls. This guy said something like "you wouldn't know it until you see they have no breasts". I think it's funny that the guy actually went home thinking the show girls were men!