Loved Prague but Was Disappointed....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in all the cheap looking souvenir shops and over abundance of crystal and jewelry shops. Having been to London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence, Munich, Salzburg, Amsterdam, Dublin, Brugge, Munich among others that don't come to mind I don't ever remember souvenir shops bothering me like they do in some areas of the US. Just a personal observation.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Perhaps it is because Prague is a less affluent City, due to the still lingering effects of 50 years of Communist rule, that prime retail space is occupied by souvenir shops rather than the upscale stores found in Western European and American cities.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Intrepid

I understand to an extent but I wouldn't necessarily agree that an "overabundance of crystal and jewelry shops" is any different than the ubiquitous wooden shoe and bulb places in Amsterdam, for example. Glass is one of the things that the Czech's pride themselves on...a local industry if you will. I think one thing that adds to the "clutter" is the fact that the places tend to be very concentrated, especially in the Old Town areabut since that's where the market is it isn't unexpected. I'm glad you had a good time otherwise..afraid for a minute you might have said you were disappointed in all that gold leaf inside the churches and other buildings <G>.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:20 PM

If anyone is looking for neat souvenirs from Prague, some of the best stuff I've ever purchased there was at Ruzyne Airport! Get there early on the way home, and load up your extra bag with great handmade metal jewelry (under $10 a piece), and artwork that is very much different than the stuff on the street. Wish I could remember the exact location in the airport, but it was to the left of where you go through passport control. I also do my souvenir shopping on the Charles Bridge (bargain with thoses vendors!), the Golden Lane at the Castle, and the outdoor market near Old Town. More unique items than in Old Town or Wenceslas Square stores. Have fun shopping..!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:00 PM
MGB

We've been to all the places you mention except Dublin. I cannot say the souvenir shops were any better or worse than anywhere else. We adored Prague and maybe just did not spend that much time in the shops (we did buy some crystal). We were so busy with all the sights that I really did not think they were the shops were bad.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:24 PM
jor

I've traveled in all of cities you compared to Prague. And what does that have to do with "some areas of the US"? Did you spend too much time in Amsterdam? What is your point?
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 11:08 AM

I think eurotravler means there are some areas of the US with a lot of cheap souvenir stands? I don't know, there are in some very touristy beach areas and Florida, as I recall.

I don't have the same sentimests at all, though -- I didn't think the souvenir shops in Prague were any different than any major city. If anything, I'd say there were nicer, actually, and less common. I've been there twice and around the main areas a lot, and don't personally remember as many really cheap chintzy souvenir shops like you find in Paris along the Seine or near Notre Dame, for example (where they sell only souvenirs, Tshirts, keychains, etc). In Salzburg, I found it worse because they have a really obnoxious Salzburg-Mickey Mouse store on the main drag, if I recall. This was a store with Disney-themed souvenirs from Salzburg. This was the worst I've ever seen. I also would not say that prime retail space is occupied by souvenir shops. There are some nice stores in Prague and nice jewelry stores (not the smaller garnet ones) on Wenceslaus Square and in some other areas. The Kotva had some very nice stuff in it.

I enjoyed jewelry and crystal stores because they are some of the best local products. There weren't so many it seemed oppressive at all to me.